Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    Larvae
    Hi Pro,
    Can the existing light setup on the Aqua 1 be taken straight off the tank and this one fitted straight on with the hight adjusters?
    And if so, does the whole settup look as good as the old flouro light setup?
    Im thinking it may look a bit strange with the trickle filter behind it.
    Im looking at one for my Aqua 1 1200

All the best Ashley

Medium Discus
    nope. You need to keep a distance between the tank and the Metal halide globes for heat reasons. You will loose too much water and turn your tank into a kettle if you put metal halide over a tank with no gap between.

You also risk shattering the glass covering the globes if any water gets splashed onto it.
    Benny

As per previous, there needs to be an adequate gap between the glass/water and the light unit.

Larvae
    Ok, So I would need to loose the trickele filter and perhaps go with a canister, and just have the light unit only on top.

Quote Originally Posted by ashley
    Ok, So I would need to loose the trickele filter and perhaps go with a canister, and just have the light unit only on top.
    Not really... a few tweaks to any sump type system could make it more practical. You just want to minimise the water breaking.

Update:-

The tank is almost finished (latex rock background installed a few days ago).

Over the next week a basic layout will need to be decided.

Should it be a thick lush planted them from end to end gradually building up in height towards the back. Or should there be rock or wood pieces to build around?

There is also the option of having a small front area of decorative sand, with the planted area being Amazonia soils... any suggestions or debate is welcomed.

Blue Diamond Discus
    your late option decorative sand and plants stirrs up the image of a stretch of vegetation taken directly from the amazon river itself i think if you have put so much effort into this tank so far
    why not go the full hog on the layout????
    EXAI

Wrigglers
    From footage of this great documentary (which i believe was shot around the tapajos area) called Amazon Abyss, if you want to go natural as possible it appears as if the biotope contains predominantly sandy bottoms with tree roots and branches strewn about. I didn't see very much vegetation at all..

Would be nice with some XL species of swords perhaps? But seeing as you are going the whole hog with the CO2 etc Dutch style with a single wooden centrepiece would be awesome too

Good luck making your choice!! :P

Blue Diamond Discus
    I reakon like a huge cave in a bit of driftwood at one end so there is a big almsot shadown in a spot for more the anubuis or low lights plants so they don't excess algae..

I thing a ground cover like a grass NOT a ricca becuase to be honest everyone has ricca etc maybe try do something complety different that stands out from the rest even though it will anyway.

One other thing are you going to be adding a bit of current into the tank so everything sways etc :P :P

Not sure if you like my ideas but i think a big hollow log at one end that casts a shadow for watever fish to get a bit of cover.

Also like said above MASSIVE sword or Red Lotus or something that is massive as a feature plant...

Good lcuk mate keep us updated with pics
    Cheers,

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Mulisha
    I reakon like a huge cave in a bit of driftwood at one end so there is a big almsot shadown in a spot for more the anubuis or low lights plants so they don't excess algae..
    Since I already have several very large pieces of wood one may be used for such an effect.

I thing a ground cover like a grass NOT a ricca becuase to be honest everyone has ricca etc maybe try do something complety different that stands out from the rest even though it will anyway.
    I am very much interested in not only setting up a quality planted tank, but one that uses native plants. I am very intersted in this local variety of Glossostigma (Glossostigma diandrum).

http://www.aquagreen.com.au/plant_da..._diandrum.html

One other thing are you going to be adding a bit of current into the tank so everything sways etc :P :P
    YES... this also assists in getting that nice ripple effect from the Metal halides.

Not sure if you like my ideas but i think a big hollow log at one end that casts a shadow for watever fish to get a bit of cover.

Also like said above MASSIVE sword or Red Lotus or something that is massive as a feature plant...

Good lcuk mate keep us updated with pics
    Whilst I do like swords and Lotus, I want something different. Heck, it would be nice to enter this into the ADA competition next year knowing all the plants are natives to Australia. There are some nice plants out there.

http://www.aquagreen.com.au/catalog.html