Page 10 of 27 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast
    Larvae
    Quote Originally Posted by Schmuck
    What? The gravel is too big No overhanging branches? :P
    I take my hat off to you Brilliant for trying, but ultimately you're exactly in the same position as us in terms of trying to recreate the Amazon. An impossible feat.

So what's this about the rain season?
    I actually had a bigger root structure in the tank but removed it because the Discus seemed to get stuck in it sometimes and stress.

LMAO the gravel is too big...and Red Pigeons Bloods eating from my hand is very natural...LMAO...I do understand that this is the benefits of tank breeding...and I admit I am enjoying those benefits...but lets not go overboard.

The real rain season would cause stress IMO. I do slightly colder water changes and keep a strict lighting schedule. If I am reading and understanding things correctly there isnt eactly a "rainy season" but one that lacks rain or in other words more rain then not.

Just an Egg
    i have an orange flash to.. Well i had a feamle for about 8 months and
    then finlay got my hands on a male, he lasted 3 days then died (got killed) the female lasted anouther 2 weeks.. The fry i have from these two are the most agresive fish ive ever seen they are 5 weeks old and already very territorial.

Larvae
    Quote Originally Posted by redghan
    i have an orange flash to.. Well i had a feamle for about 8 months and
    then finlay got my hands on a male, he lasted 3 days then died (got killed) the female lasted anouther 2 weeks.. The fry i have from these two are the most agresive fish ive ever seen they are 5 weeks old and already very territorial.
    Strange I am keeping a colony in a very small footprint 36"x18". I think they are sweethearts. This is the second time I have heard this but I still think its strange. I have two very nice males its a shame you are in the other side of the world. I am in the US.

Just an Egg
    So i take it your not in Oz..

Yeh i wanted to get a Apisto tank going.. But i jumped to
    discus to quickly..lol...

One of my old young ones..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails apist_cac19.jpg  

Just an Egg
    the dad and mum of that fry
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails apist_cac_mother02.jpg   apist_cac_father01.jpg  

Larvae
    So i take it your not in Oz..

Yeh i wanted to get a Apisto tank going.. But i jumped to
    discus to quickly..lol...

One of my old young ones..

Nope not in Oz, this isnt a fairy tale!

Nice pic. Want me to resize it?

Heres my new Apisto tank!

I wish I had a pic of "Muscles" to show you. I named that one "Mick".

Just an Egg
    nah its cool, but you could probly tell exactly what type of cac that is..
    I know hes a cac but instead of Orange or red he is yellow.

Larvae
    LMAO the gravel is too big...and Red Pigeons Bloods eating from my hand is very natural...LMAO...I do understand that this is the benefits of tank breeding...and I admit I am enjoying those benefits...but lets not go overboard.
    I was joking, but my point still remains.

Larvae
    Quote Originally Posted by Schmuck
    I was joking, but my point still remains.
    overboard= off water parameters...see my "Discus Equation" above.

Larvae
    Just had to post in this..
    So you all know im reading too..

Im not going to argue with anyone..
    But ph Crashes happen, (Just ask my old angle fish, if you can talk to the dead) and i would have thought that RO water would be more prone to this as it is stripped of most of the stuff in it.
    I realize that pH crash is much more of a problem with the bare bottom tank. This is a tank with only water and fish and a bubbling sponge to convert ammonia and nitrites to nitrates.

Quote Originally Posted by ladyred

I know your water never varies, but it will behave differently with fish adding acids in the form of urine, feces and uneaten fish food. Calcium will help to buffer the water.

Cheers,
    Merrilyn.
    Did anyone know that ammonia is less toxic in lower pH?
    http://www.fishdoc.co.uk/water/ammonia.htm
    This link isnt specific to Discus...Koi ponds...and isnt the best advice for keeping Discus but the "scientific crap" about ammonia and pH is relative.