Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Wrigglers
    be it a neon or an aro i just cant throw it/cut off its head etc. for large fish (say 30cm+) i will personally get the vet to put it to sleep via whatever they use in the water. there is no way i would ever be able to hit my oscar on the head

the clove oil then freezing method sounds pretty humane to me, the clove oil makes em go to sleep then into the freezer to finish it off. if theyre in a very very deep sleep will they still feel the pain?

i would need something that is good for the fish but good for me too. im willing to pay extra to have the fish go easily and peacefully but sometimes im not able to have that done. i find the topic of euthenaising a good one, its a thing most people are going to have to face in their fish keeping experiences and i would like to think most people would want to make it as painless as they could.

Larvae
    well said.

I have an off topic question. Is NZ a seperate country from Aus? Forgive my ignorance.

SnakeSkin Discus
    Quote Originally Posted by Waldo
    well said.

I have an off topic question. Is NZ a seperate country from Aus? Forgive my ignorance.
    Yes mate it is...

In regards to this thread, from my experiance ive only ever put 2 fish to sleep...

One was a baby guppy that had a bad spine and the other was one of my breeders that had small little tumours on her body that were left to be treated too late...

I am going to sound like a bastard but for the baby guppy i just netted him out and snap his spine (He died instantely) and the breeder i used the hard hit to the head....

I felt like a cruel owner but it was better for the actual fish...

I have read on a site or two before about the boiling water method - im definantely not a big fan of it, but if it is instaneous i dont think its any worse then freezing...

However this just my opinion and i do not wish to be attack by what i have said....

Sam ...

Larvae
    The goal is to learn not to bicker offend or exclude.

Clove oil is good stuff though. :P

Wrigglers
    i think i would be ok with the boiling water way.
    i have a snail infestation and i just fill it full of water and they all die.
    i dont know about putting a fish to sleep tho its different.
    i have never put a fish to sleep or intentionaly killed any.
    i have acciddently killed one.