Thread: Discus friend

Hi, I'm New Here!

Discus friend

Hi everyone im new to discus i have 4 now for 3 months they are thriving
    but i have this Silver dollar with them he thinks hes a Discus he follow them every where and hangs out with them.
    every thing seem ok ,but people have told not to put a Silver Doller with Discus becouse they are to skittish he seems to only get skittish at feeding time or if they swim away with out him i dont think he bothers them but im not sure.

Medium Discus

fish

Do not put silver dollars with discus.

Discus will do better if in a species tank.

G

SnakeSkin Discus
    yea i wouldnt put a sliver dollar with them either, i may be wrong but cant silver dollars get a bit agressive aswel?

nathan

SnakeSkin Discus
    There are always exceptions..

By the sound of it, your silver dollar has grown up with the discus? And there has been no obvious signs of aggressive?

I'd say it depends and if there are no nipped fins, etc you should be fine.... :P

Just an Egg

discus mates

I have not had silver dollars with discus but with an angle who keeps the 4 silver dollars in there place. he has half the tank and the 4 silver dollars have the rest.

but I have bristlenose catfish witch I need to ask the group about as I saw the other night jumping on the side of my adult disuc and the discus racing and trying to shake them off..

Is it normal for bristlenose to do this.

les
    Sydney west. Just started with discus May 2005.

Blue Diamond Discus
    lesdxa,

Usually Bristlenose & Discus can live together happily and the Bristlenoses don't usually bother the Discus - but I have heard that occasionally Bristlenoses can get a taste for the Discus' Slime Coat.

I have a little colony of Bristlenoses in my Community tank together with my Discus', Clown Loach, Knife Fish, Rams and Tetra's and have never had any worries however if I were having this problem with my Bristlenoses I would remove the culprits asap.,

Regards,

Marg.
    "True Friends are like Blue Diamonds, so Brilliant, Precious and Rare - Protect them while you can"

SnakeSkin Discus
    Marg is right, the bristlenose can get a taste of the slime coat, the bristlenose eating the slime coat wont kill the discus the stress of the bristlenose will, so im with marg, if i was you id remove them.

nathan

Just an Egg
    all our fish, at one point or another, have thought they were a pleco They all hung out with Suckface (he's a 4 year old, 7 inch Common Leopard Pleco) for a good few months.

It's a per fish thing. Most people say that Three Dot Gouramis are very aggressive and shouldn't be kept with smaller fish...ours is Big Brother...seriously, he's the sweetest fish in the tank, eats out of my hand and hasn't EVER nipped anyone (though he grew up with my Parrots so... )

I'd just say keep an eye on them
    Let's just say I'm BUY-curious...

It really does depend how they're raised.

Fish that grow up together are usually very tolerant of their tankmates. But even so, problems can develop as they reach maturity.

Just keep an eye on things, and be prepared to separate them at the first sign of any trouble.
    Thirty-five years keeping and breeding discus, and I'm still learning :P

Merrilyn has passed, but will not be forgotten - Goodbye dear friend