Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Medium Discus
    doesnt BGA release nasties into the water?

Oy i hope i dont have it myself, fighting the never-ending algae saga of a new tank...

Benny
    Benny

Great article on various types of algae and solutions to hopefully remedy the problem: http://plantgeek.net/article_viewer.php?id=9

Aquatic rumors, conjecture, news, and more.

Medium Discus
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny
    doesnt BGA release nasties into the water?
    As far as i know it doesn't,Your tank just look's bad.

Wrigglers
    I am thinking its BGA myself.... and yes I can... Im thinking about doing a Styro/Cement Background including the sides... if I do... then I wont have to worry about it... so that is on my LIST OF THINGS TO DO! haha

as for the ram that was breathing hard... today she was dead.. and at work.. we had one doing the same thing today... later it died too!

the other fish are fine, as well as the male ram!

Anything else I can do?
    (*^Shawn^*)

Wrigglers
    My suggestion in controlling your BGA is to try and control the amount of phosphates in the water. The reason why i asked if you were using ph buffers is beacause alot of them contain phosphate.

so for now do some water changes and dont use your ph buffer. try and dilute the water. I know seachem says their buffers dont contain phosphates but just give it a miss for once and see what happens.
    doing little water changes without buffering wont hurt any of your fish or plants.

cheers.
    Eric

Medium Discus
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawnts106
    I am thinking its BGA myself.... and yes I can... Im thinking about doing a Styro/Cement Background including the sides... if I do... then I wont have to worry about it..
    Anything else I can do?
    What don't you have to worry about, the BGA?
    If that's what you a thinking, think again it will soon cover your whole tank,and you will be forever hand in tank cleaning.
    You bottomed out your nitrate's therefore a good enviroment for BGA,also poor circulation can bring it on.
    Do a three day black out.
    Do 50-75%WC add KNO3 turn CO2 light's off, then a complete blackout
    After the 3 day's do another 50-70% WC add KNO3 turn back on the CO2 and light's keep it at a min of 30ppm,Before the black out take as much crap out as you can.
    Keep your NO3 up at least the 10 ppm.

Wrigglers
    What don't you have to worry about, the BGA?
    If that's what you a thinking, think again it will soon cover your whole tank,and you will be forever hand in tank cleaning.
    You bottomed out your nitrate's therefore a good enviroment for BGA,also poor circulation can bring it on.
    Do a three day black out.
    Do 50-75%WC add KNO3 turn CO2 light's off, then a complete blackout
    After the 3 day's do another 50-70% WC add KNO3 turn back on the CO2 and light's keep it at a min of 30ppm,Before the black out take as much crap out as you can.
    Keep your NO3 up at least the 10 ppm.
    Not BGA, I dont have to worry about the Sunlight on that side...
    Yes I am well aware of poor circulation causes BGA, thats why I have a filter that is 3 times the size I need, plus a powerhead on the other side... just look at the picture...

I have already done a 3 day black out.... it worked for a few days...
    I have done several 50% to 85% waterchanges... ... Its not helped...
    Yes, the CO2 was OFF of course so were the lights...
    I do NOT agree with the NO3 level being 10ppm, this is not acceptable to me!

the BGA mainly grows on the filter outtake and the Foxtail... nothing else... oh yes, and the Java fern.. but thats it!
    (*^Shawn^*)

Medium Discus
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawnts106
    I do NOT agree with the NO3 level being 10ppm, this is not acceptable to me!
    I take it that you want your NO3 to be 0ppm and not any higher?

Medium Discus
    I agree with Duck. Having your nitrate level at 10ppm will not affect your discus and your plants will benefit from it.

Dave.

Just an Egg
    Get your nitrates up or your going to have problems your discus won't care
    Matt