View Poll Results: Would you like to see the country indicator feature on international ADN sites?

Voters
22. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

21 95.45%
  • No

1 4.55%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

NEW FEATURE: Country Indicators on Posts

To those who have expressed concerns about assisting individuals on an international site, not knowing where a user is from - we have listened to your concerns and need your feedback.

In the ADN sandbox forum, I've coded up a possible solution, but I need to hear what you all think.

The first indicators are on the actual forum pages, next to the authors name:
    http://testforum.aquadotnetwork.com/...wforum.php?f=6

In the actual topic view, the country indicator is also shown next to each poster:
    http://testforum.aquadotnetwork.com/...pic.php?t=2817

As well as in the user profile:
    http://testforum.aquadotnetwork.com/...iewprofile&u=6

All newly registered users would be required to select at least their country in lieu of a complete location - due to privacy concerns. Unfortunately existing users would need to set this option. We could send PMs to all of the users after a set period requesting that they set their country, and if necessary restricting posting until a country is set.

Please at least answer the poll, yes or no, and if you have a moment, let me know if...

1. You would find making the country code mandatory for posting useful in helping individuals.

2. You would like the country indicator to be optional.

3. You have any other suggestions regarding country indicators.

Aquatic rumors, conjecture, news, and more.

SnakeSkin Discus
    I think it is a bad idea for ausfishforum.com and for this site because then it would be encouraging peeople from other countries to join....

Thatcould cause the sites to become a american based site or some other country based site...making it harder to find someone near u that u can talk to about discus or another fish....

Just my opinion...

Ps i have no problem with people joining from other countries...its just i dont think it should be encouraged.....

Cheers,

Sam

SnakeSkin Discus
    And i think it is best to just have the location thing we have now but just make it a rule to fill it in if ur selling something...

And if someone breaks this rule then there post should be removed and they should be given a warning or something... :P

By putting in ur state in ur location u can then just say in ur msg if ur selling something that ur 20mins from the CBD or something..

eg: Location, N.S.W

Then in ur msg say: Im in the penrith area...

I dont think privacy should be an issue there...

i think countrys would be great

and i don't think it would harm our australian flavour

it would just give us a little more information about others
    RYAN --- DIY ROCKS!

The country indicators would only be used on international sites. AusFishForum is definately not an international site, so no worries there.

Thanks for the feedback so far!

Just an Egg
    Quote Originally Posted by mcloughlin2
    I think it is a bad idea for ausfishforum.com and for this site because then it would be encouraging peeople from other countries to join....

Thatcould cause the sites to become a american based site or some other country based site...making it harder to find someone near u that u can talk to about discus or another fish....

Just my opinion...

Ps i have no problem with people joining from other countries...its just i dont think it should be encouraged.....

Cheers,

Sam

*runs away crying*
    But I didnt want to be american, I promise!

I feel horribly discriminated against. It was scary enough being a minority here, but I was encouraged to stay but apparently the feeling is not mutural.

Discus are discus no matter where you are. Tanks are tanks, diseases are....
    you get the point.

That being said, I like the whole flag idea. I vote yes!

*sits in corner pouting because no-one wants to play with me*

*Hands Kaz a tissue*

Dry your eyes little lady. We have friends from all over the world on this forum. Why, even two of our three wonderful Administrators are based in the USA, and our third Admin makes America his second home so make yourself right at home.

We are truely an international site here, with members based in USA, England, France, Holland, Germany, Brasil, Singapore, China, Malaysia and many, many others. We even have some Aussie members too
    Thirty-five years keeping and breeding discus, and I'm still learning :P

Merrilyn has passed, but will not be forgotten - Goodbye dear friend

Quote Originally Posted by kazkirk
    *runs away crying*
    But I didnt want to be american, I promise!

I feel horribly discriminated against. It was scary enough being a minority here, but I was encouraged to stay but apparently the feeling is not mutural.

Discus are discus no matter where you are. Tanks are tanks, diseases are....
    you get the point.

That being said, I like the whole flag idea. I vote yes!

*sits in corner pouting because no-one wants to play with me*
    *waves hands*

Hey - I'm American... last time I checked *LOL*.

I suppose we have some stark perspectives of what DiscusForums is... and in a lot of ways that's a good thing. To Aussies it's a personable Australian site, to Americans - it's an open international site.

Don't fret... I'm glad to have you here regardless.

SnakeSkin Discus
    My apologies to kazkirk and any other person i offended...

The reason i z that is because i hate it wen i go on to other forums and see a fish i have been lookin for that is for sale only to find out that its for sale in another country..

This is one of the few sites i can visit and buy almost any fish i can afford and i dont want that to change....

I have thought about it and have decided that it would be a good idea to have country ID....i would change my vote but i dont think that is possible for me to do that....

Another apology to all those people i offended...

Ps: I hope there are no bad feelings towards me...

Cheers,

Sam

Sam, no one here is going to hit you over the head with a brick for having an opinion.
    We pride ourselves on letting everyone be heard, without fear of being ridiculed.
    This is an open and friendly forum, and our admins like it that way, and so do the mods.

You have expressed an opinion and make a valid point, and that's fine.
    Others may have a different opinion, and that's fine too.
    This is our home, and everyone has a right to be heard.
    Every opinion is important.

Okay everyone, let's hear what you have to say :P
    Thirty-five years keeping and breeding discus, and I'm still learning :P

Merrilyn has passed, but will not be forgotten - Goodbye dear friend