Hi, I'm New Here!

Leaving discus whilst on holidays

I am about to set up a discus tank and have just thought about what will happen when I go on holidays. I usually go away for about 4 weeks each year. I do not have anyone to come into my home whilst away. Will the fish be ok for 4 weeks with flake food on an auto fish feeder and no water changes? Or is there a service where you can take your fish to be "babysat"? I'm hoping there is some solution as would hate to have my dream shatter of having a discus tank just because I go on a holiday.

Chezz

Hi, I'm New Here!
    Hi Chez,

Depending on how well established and planted your tank is , you may be able to get by with a large water change just before and as soon as you come back from your holiday.

Another thing to consider is how heavily populated your tank is.

In short, the less fish, the more plants and the longer the tank has established and stable will define how long you can get away without doing a water change.

If you're unsure about any of these factors it might be better to get a friend or LFS to do a water change for you once while you're away.

Regards,
    Josh

Hi Chez
    4 weeks is a long time.
    Personally I'd ask one of the workers at the lfs to come around twice a week, they earn bugger all so won't cost too much. Just get them to take a bucket of water out and give em a feed The filter will be fine and won't need any attention till you return.
    You could try you auto feed method now and see how it works before the holiday.
    Cheers

Free Swimmer
    hi chez,im about to go on a 10 day fishing trip ,i'll b using a auto feeder while i gone so the misses doesn't have to do a thing along with a lrg water change the night b4.