Just an Egg

To move tanks or not to move.....yep that is the question

G'day its been a while since I got a chance to visit the forums, mostly due to other commitments but also pc repairs.

My discus tank is a 4x2x2 planted that people here have helped me with along the way so I hope for some more advice. I had 7 discus, 6 near adults and 1 about 10cm, tankmates are 3 siamese algae eaters, male bn, 10 roset tetra( started with 20), 20 glowlight tetra, 4 corries.

The tank has never reached my expectations and the picture I had in mind for it but compromise is a must in some parts o the hobby. I bought 2 adult red melons, 2 adult blue turq variants, 1 smaller turq and was given 2 near adult pigeon blood with some genetic defects mostly noticeable was eye problems. As time went by the pigeons seemed to have trouble grabbing food, they knew it was there but kept missing. About 6 weeks back 1 of them started staying in a corner and not bothering to come out to eat at all and became so weak I picked it up out of the water and euthanised it, now the other one is acting the same way. The other discus appear fine, feed well and are bright and active. They always hang out at one end of the tank for some reason only going to the other at night time to sleep so I'm assuming they just dont like all the plants except for abit of protection during the night.

I expect to lose the other pigeon soon, I hate to see it suffer.

I have an AR 980 tank that has some plants on driftwood with current stocking being 7 koi angels ( had a first spawn over the weekend), 6 female kribs and 1 male, 6 cardinal tetra, 7 red phantom tetras ( about 4 years old now), 1 bn, 1 whiptail, 6 corries and a small borneo sucker.

I'm thinking of moving the discus into the 980 and most of the other fish into the 4 footer. It will be 5 discus and the bn and in actual terms more swimming area for them without any tall plants. Water changes will be daily and a lot easier to manage for me.

Any suggestions and advice is welcome.
    Cheers!
    Time is an illusion, lunchtime doubly so.

Wrigglers
    Hi,

I have a nice big 1150 lt display about 8.5ft long. It has about 20-25 Discus in it and most of the time they hang at one end. I put it down to its where I feed them. I always feed them at the one end and just wondered if the area where you say yours are hanging out is the usual feeding spot too?

Congrats on the spawn!

Cheers

Just an Egg
    Tx for the reply Hooked, never considered that. It is where the get fed lol I might have been looking for a more complex reason when it ws a simle one of stay where the food arrives .

Cheers!
    Time is an illusion, lunchtime doubly so.

My fish do the same thing the hang around in the corner of the tank that i feed them in .As for the one that isnt eating it sounds like it needs to be wormed.Buy some Lemvisole here is the link about it http://discusforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4547link and treat the whole tank.