Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: water changes?

Boxters may be correct about what the amazon does in summer, but I doubt those pools are 6 x 2 x 2 pools with zero fresh water flow.
    As an absolute minimum 10% every couple of days till you can do a larger change.

Hi, I'm New Here!
    I change every day and my fish are never sick or have flukes
    and growth rates increase too new water means bigger appetite as it would be in the wild too i supose .50% followed by 100% the next day ( aged water )

Free Swimmer
    Quote Originally Posted by swifto
    i change 100ltr of a 274ltr tank once aweek.
    Mine are pairing,shimmering,peking the in take pipe with this one only water change.Something must b right in with the way i'm doing it.

Free Swimmer
    Quote Originally Posted by boxters
    This is my opinion. Discus do not like to much new water contrary to what most people think. In the summer months in the wild most of the amazon dries up creating isolated pools with little to know fresh water for long periods of time. The ph is low and the water old. I never change more than 10% twice per week. The fish have a very strong resistance to infection and will let you know via tell tale signs that they want fresh water.n.
    Marlon did start off by acknowledging that it was his opinion, which he is perfectly entitled to share. I am certain there is no one true path to enlightenment!

That being said, for me its a case of at least one 30% per week. I prefer to do two, but time does not always permit. This seems to keep my water quality within fairly tight ranges and in my opinion my fish seem happiest with consistent water chemistry.

Cheers,
    Scott

Lol l'm going to start all my losts with imo

Just an Egg
    thanks for the feedback guys btw how do you guys change your tanks like for 100+ gallons ?

Quote Originally Posted by joeyd412
    thanks for the feedback guys btw how do you guys change your tanks like for 100+ gallons ?
    I use a 5ft x 2ft x 2 ft tank as my resovior, the water goes in, I can mix to get the right conductivity, airate and heat and I use a big pond pump to fill my empty tanks.

Easy
    Why me ?

Hi, I'm New Here!
    40 to 50% twice a week,every monday and friday,and discus look happy and stunning
    CICHLID POWER water changes are a fish best friend

Just an Egg
    every one has differant opinions on the subject.but if you wanted to be scientific about it cheak the nitrate levels daily till you get a feel for how much waste is produced.then water change to keep nitrates below 20 ppm for domestics or below 10 ppm for wilds
    discus.is there any other fish.

Just an Egg

water changes

It depends on the how your tank is stocked if you have a good size tank good filteration and lightly stocked you can get away with 50% a week with no issues.
    I have a 6x 2x 2.5, Eheim 2080 and 10 Discus 50% water change a week no problems.