Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Wrigglers

Aussie Eclectus

Yeah - they are much bigger bird and have a different temperment. The Oceanic varieties are better I reckon. One of the few birds next to Amazons where the female is the better one to keep IMO. My wife is a bird and fish vet. We do see a lot come in with behavioural issues, but usually it just comes back to the owner not catering to their needs. Have fun with one - but remember that nothing beats a sulphur cockie for character!!

Cheers

Squid
    Wild discus only please. Or bring back the old strains from the 80's.

Blue Diamond Discus BigDaddyAdo's Avatar

Re: Aussie Eclectus

Quote Originally Posted by Squid
    Yeah - they are much bigger bird and have a different temperment. The Oceanic varieties are better I reckon. One of the few birds next to Amazons where the female is the better one to keep IMO. My wife is a bird and fish vet. We do see a lot come in with behavioural issues, but usually it just comes back to the owner not catering to their needs. Have fun with one - but remember that nothing beats a sulphur cockie for character!!

Cheers

Squid
    Not so. Solomon Island Eclectus are one of the smallest. The males of the species tend to be a lot more relaxed than the females. The females are prone to hormonal issues, nesting issues, etc.
    I don't get drunk I get AWESOME!!!

Wrigglers

Aussie Eclectus

No - the Aussie eclectus are the bigger bird (700g nominal weight - or there abouts). I followed on from your last comment. SI's a smaller and are the better bird.

Squid
    Wild discus only please. Or bring back the old strains from the 80's.

No probs. I thought your were referring to SIs.

Just an Egg
    I know it's a little bit of an old subject, but Big Daddy, did you get your Eclectus Parrot yet ?
    I stopped breeding parrots around 2 years ago, but i used to breed Eclectus, South American Blue Quakers, Sun Conures and Alexandrines.
    The Eclectus is a great companion parrot and the advice about giving attention to the bird is very true.
    Eclectus are very intelligent birds that do require alot of attention. They do respond well to a structured routine, feed times, training etc.
    If you don't have the bird already, I would recommend if possible to get the bird while still on the last week or two of hand feeds, so you can feed your bird and it will bond better to you, in my experience.
    Also Big Daddy, if you don't have your Eclectus yet i still know quite a few breeders around the local area who will give me a good deal
    Cheers, Gumby
    PARROTS RULE ! They have more intelligence than YOU !
    Everybody has to beleive in something, I beleive i'll have another BEER !
    If you don't like it the way i tell it, then go get a pretend life because i live a real one !

I have had him for over a month now. He is now about 5 and a half months old.

Just an Egg
    That Eclectus looks in very good shape Big Daddy, obvious you know not to feed a seed diet to the Eclectus, one thing mine used to go nuts for was passion fruit, i suggest you plant one cause they can be expensive at times reaching $2 each.
    Thanks for the pic Big Daddy, you've started me thinking now, once my tanks are all done i might involve myself back in some parrot breeding
    Cheers, Gumby
    PARROTS RULE ! They have more intelligence than YOU !
    Everybody has to beleive in something, I beleive i'll have another BEER !
    If you don't like it the way i tell it, then go get a pretend life because i live a real one !

Beautiful bird Ado. I used to have a Latino Ring Neck - until my Wife decided she hated birds as much as aquariums = no more bird.

Wilson loves passion fruit. He even eats the skin.

He is lots of fun and extremely intelligent. I am sure he tries to train us as much as we try to train him.