Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Hi, I'm New Here!

Apistogramma Agassizi Colours

Hi all,
    I have a trio of A. Agassizi which I am attempting to breed. However, the people I got them from did not know their specific colour morph (if it exists). I was wondering if any of the apisto people here have any ideas:

Male:

Dominant female:

Sub dominant female:

The LFS told me the male and the sub dominant female were german bred...don't know how true that is.

Many thanks!

Just an Egg
    Hey,

Sorry can really help with the colour but looks like your sub dominate female has some Callumanus worms. Your probably already aware of this but if not they are easily treated with Big L wormer or anything with Levamisole Hydrochloride as the main ingredient.

HTH

Hi, I'm New Here!
    Hi Marty,
    Are you referring to the thin line popping out of her bum? I think she was just doing a poo at the time, it doesn't appear to be there in any of my other photos or looking at her.

Blue Diamond Discus BigDaddyAdo's Avatar
    I agree with Marty that it looks like worms.

The dominant female is a beaut though.
    I don't get drunk I get AWESOME!!!

Just an Egg
    Quote Originally Posted by Silkjc
    Hi Marty,
    Are you referring to the thin line popping out of her bum? I think she was just doing a poo at the time, it doesn't appear to be there in any of my other photos or looking at her.
    Oh ok just keep an eye on it because they can go back in the body then come back out.

About the colours was looking again at your pics and they look similar to the ones I used to have.

I was told they were a.agassizi flamenco but mine look a little more yellow then yours do?

Wait for Briztoon to see this he should be able to help out more.

Medium Discus
    One of the interesting attributes of A.agassizi is that this Apisto has numerous colour variations from somewhat drab to amazibngly colourful. There are also some aquarium strains such as the fire-reds.

Worming fish is a simple task so if ever in doubt do so - newly acquired fish should be quarantined regardless for close obervation and any treatment deemed wise / necessary. Nice fish

take care

Gorgeous colours Silkjc.
    Thirty-five years keeping and breeding discus, and I'm still learning :P

Merrilyn has passed, but will not be forgotten - Goodbye dear friend

San Merah Discus
    I'm a little concerned about the size of the eye on your dominant female. It seems way out of proportion to the rest of the fishs head

...and I love how much people froth over the term "German Bred" It is similar to all the "Export Grade" "Super Mega Ultra" "AAA+" bull that accompanies marine livestock.
    For all we know if could've been bred by someone who knows less than we do and fluked it with a successful spawn and their dad's, fathers next door neighbour was German.

Hi, I'm New Here!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hassles
    Worming fish is a simple task so if ever in doubt do so - newly acquired fish should be quarantined regardless for close obervation and any treatment deemed wise / necessary.
    I've had these Agassizi for a while now and they appear to be worm free. However I recently read in Cichlid Atlas on page 229 Romer specifically advises against the use of worming pharmaceuticals with Apistogramma.

In contrast to what is suggested in the literature for various aquarium fishes, the application of deworming medication cannot be recommended for Apistogramma. They are usually very sensitive to these pharmaceuticals. Losses due to the medication normally far exceed those experienced when infested specimens are simply maintained under strict quarantine and fed well.
    This seems to contradict yours and Marty's advise, at least in regards to medication. Is Romer's viewpoint on worming Apistos commonly accepted, or is this information perhaps out of date with advances in worming medication since the publication of his book?
    I'd hate to get some new fish only to drug them before they even make it to the aquarium!

Blue Diamond Discus BigDaddyAdo's Avatar
    I have never lost a fish due to worming.

Beaut fish mate.
    I don't get drunk I get AWESOME!!!