Thread: Doxycycline

Doxycycline

Can anyone tell me what Doxy can be used for and in what dosage? I believe it's a broad spectrum antibiotic.
    I have 100mg tabs and was wondering the best application for them.
    Cheers

Hi

Mines powder form - I will have to check the active ingredient at home. From that, you might see how your doxy compares.

Jothy gave me the dosage rate of 15mg/L repeated daily with a 25-30% water change inbetween. I took the info Jothy gave me to my vet, who worked out what I needed to use of the powder he prescribed. I redosed the tank daily.

It is a antibiotic, so you would use it for anything where you previously might have used say Tetracycline. They are related, but from what i hear, the Tetracycline is not very useful anymore. Due to overuse, there's a lot of resistance to it & so the doxy was a better choice.

I used it to treat septicaemia, which it cured. As septicaemia was only the secondary issue, the fish still died (but not of septicaemia).
    Previously known as "Tankwatcher"

Just an Egg
    Hahaha

Have you got some excess malaria treatment Brad? wonder if fish have Doxy dreams too

Quote Originally Posted by Pheonix
    Hahaha

Have you got some excess malaria treatment Brad? wonder if fish have Doxy dreams too
    Just being cautious.. wouldn't want my fish coming down with malaria..

Do you know if Premiquin (spelling?) can be used as a wormer for Discus? I'll have to do the irridication cycle when I get home so I'll try to get some ''extra" if it's worth while.