Thread: overly shy?

Just an Egg

overly shy?

i have two young discus in a 4ft tank with driftwood, barebottomed with two cannisters. the fish are still very skittish and shy only coming out to eat when nobody is near the tank. is this normal behavoir?? i knew they would be a little shy but they have been in there over a week now.

Tiny Fry
    how much light do you have on the tank?

Try turning the light off for a couple of days and see if it makes a difference.

R.

Just an Egg
    ill give that a go again. frustrating cause i love watching the tank cheers

2 fish in any tank will be skittish. Discus are shoaling fish and are probably feeling a little insecure in such a big environment. How may liters is the tank? How long has it been running ? is it mature?

Steve
    Why me ?

Just an Egg
    tank is around 220 litres. filters have been running on other tanks for around 12 months so they are cycled. im keen to get another two fish maybe three but i think ill go with two. just waiting for some decent juvi's to come along the young fish at my LFS's havnt been wat im looking for.

Hi, I'm New Here!
    Mine took about two weeks to settle in.
    "You will never earn a living playing guitar John"
    Alfred Lennon

Hi, I'm New Here!
    I also started off with 2 juvis, and they were as exactly as you described, ran into the corner, everytime, and only came out if no ones around,for like a month , i reckon. but after i added 3 more discus fish, they are so confident and not shy anymore. and all of them swim normally, when people come and see the tank. i suggest addeding few more, then they will be a treat to watch. :P

Just an Egg
    problem is getting better. added a blue diamond a red dragon and a red melon this has totally changed the way they act instead of swimming away like mad and hiding they just float under the driftwood and stare at me haha thanks for the help will post some pics wen they are mature cheers josh

Hi, I'm New Here!
    Try hand feeding frozen blood worms ....hold a small piece and place it between your fingers while feeding them....make them get use to this routine....they will come rushing to u whenever is feeding them.
    cheers
    Francis

2 discus it will take longer for them to settle in vs 4discus to 6 discus. What you can do is just put food there and watch them a distance sitting in a chair or something. Keep moving closer as they come out. Do that every day and they wont be scared of you no more