Just an Egg

I have small worms in my tank --- a reason for concern ??

Greetings guys -- as topic says -- i have these very small white worms that i can easily see on my glass( in tank - not on the outside) - they are almost 2 mm long ( very small to look at ) and almost look like miniature maggots - or very very tiny bits of rice - its only when you look real close you can see them squirm

I have a tank that has been established now for about 3 years - its about 500 Litres has 4 Adult discus in it and plants that are absolutely thriving and if left alone in 2 weeks almost take over the tank

anyone know what they could be ??? and are they harmful and if so -- how do i get rid of them ?

Boc

If you need a photo - let me know - will break out the digital SLR and shoot of a few snaps
    Hayabusa - If your not on one , your behind one ...

Just an Egg
    could be Planaria (flat worms) - cause by uneaten food, rotting plants and generally - to much waste in the tank - not dangerous for fish, however, not good for eggs as the worms eat em' - if left alone - will SERIOUSLY multiply in the gravel. Post a pic - couldn't hurt - but i reckon that's what they are.

I would give ya tank a nice thorough gravel vac, pull out any rotting leaves and reduce feeding for a bit. If you have small fish - they may eat them (mollies, corys etc) - but id be more concerned of your ammonia levels - as i said - if there are flat worms - you generally have to much waste in the tank - meaning ammonia spikes

I agree with George,

Planaria are caused by lack of maintenance and over feeding
    Why me ?

Just an Egg
    NP - will charge up the battery on the SLR and try take pics over the weekend

Boc

Quote Originally Posted by Ozboc
    NP - will charge up the battery on the SLR and try take pics over the weekend

Boc
    I would make a water change the first priority Boc.
    Why me ?

Just an Egg
    as of late - i have been doing at least 1/2 a tank water change every week

i do have a lot of alge at the moment -- not sure why as i have actually decreased the amount of food i feed the fish -- and its normally all eaten within 10 min .... ( they like to let it sit for about 5 min before eating it )

Boc

Just an Egg
    Get a Phosphate test kit if you haven't got one already and post your findings - usually algae is caused by high phosphates and/or excess feeding and to much light.

If you feeding flakes - i wouldn't leave them in there for 10 mins - the will get into the gravel and 'rot' - same with most foods actually - i would see what they eat in 2 - 3 mins and scoop / gravel vac the rest out - remember its about feeding a little 3 - 5 times a day - not a lot 1 - 2 times a day

HTH

Just an Egg
    HI guys -- well i done most of the water tests -- Nitrate ,Nitrite amonia ... all registering 0

as for feeding and removing the food they dont eat within 5 min - these fish are actually very weird when it comes to eating .... I can have the food Rain down on top of them and they will just let the food go to the bottom without any interest - its only after about 10 min that they then eat it .... almost like they want the food to Soak for a while before eating .... they ALL do the same thing - i even didnt feed them for a 24 hour period and same thing happened when i did feed them

SERA discus granules is what i feed them. there is no leaf litter or dead plants in the tank at all - any bits that may come off the plants don't die but immediately begin to grow roots

could not get a photo of the worms - but will post a pic of my setup tomorrow .....

Boc

Just an Egg
    no probs - some fish will do that - instead of feeding as the food drops, they will wait till it hits the bottom and pick at it - just to be sure to vac it out when their done - if they dont gobble it all down first that it

I kinda feel like algae doesnt help either. I noticed if I let algae build up little particles kind of stick to it. I never really had the little worms, but I have had lots of particles floating in the tank. once I removed the algae the water cleared up. so that may help. I would go along with what everyone said and just try to keep the tank sparkling clean. that should knock those worms right out IMO.