Thread: Breeding Age?

Hi, I'm New Here!

Breeding Age?

Hello,
    I've got two Discus that seem to have paired up, but they are a bit young. I am wondering what age or rather, size, is best to let them "have a go?"
    If your so Goth, where were you when we burned Rome?

You will find that fish will pair up as early as 8 months old. The trouble is that being that young, they are still in their growing stage, and allowing them to breed will seriously halt the female's rate of growth.

If they are young, try to keep them in different tanks and feed them up until at least a year of age, maybe more. Size is difficult to say really, I would like to see 5.5" to 6"SL before breeding.

hth
    Why me ?

Hi, I'm New Here!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hollowman
    You will find that fish will pair up as early as 8 months old. The trouble is that being that young, they are still in their growing stage, and allowing them to breed will seriously halt the female's rate of growth.

If they are young, try to keep them in different tanks and feed them up until at least a year of age, maybe more. Size is difficult to say really, I would like to see 5.5" to 6"SL before breeding.

hth
    I thought as much, I checked with the local store I got them from about how old they might be. And the fellow thinks they would have a few more months before being breeding age - he really didn't know how old they are. I would guess their about 4-5 inches across (nose to tail). I'd like them to be a bit bigger yet.

I might split them up when I get in the new tank I plan to use as a breeding tank – I have my eye on a nice 2ft (or it might be 3ft cube as it looks bigger than 2ft) cube tank.

The pair was part of an order the store got in from a breeder in Malaysia – I also got a Snow White from the same place.

There are 2 different types of measurement, which can make a lot of difference to how you look at them and if they are the size you think they should be. (does that make any sence?)

SL (Standard length) = from tip of nose to base of Caudal fin (tail)
    TL (Total Length) = from tip of nose to end of tail

I always measure and talk in SL, I hope this was the same for yours. If not, they have a long way to go yet

hth

H
    Why me ?

Hi, I'm New Here!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hollowman
    There are 2 different types of measurement, which can make a lot of difference to how you look at them and if they are the size you think they should be. (does that make any sence?)

SL (Standard length) = from tip of nose to base of Caudal fin (tail)
    TL (Total Length) = from tip of nose to end of tail

I always measure and talk in SL, I hope this was the same for yours. If not, they have a long way to go yet

hth

H
    I was just estimating from memory, and I was thinking along the lines of Standard Length. Ether way I'd like them to be about another inch longer.