Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Just an Egg

Feeding Apisto's

I'm reffering to a post on another forum & I would like to know others opinions.

Apparently his young apisto died for an unknown reason, he took it to his vet for an autopsy, the fish showed little symptoms until 2 days prior when it started swimming upside down & floating upside down at the bottom of the tank.

The vet has now stated that the fish died due to the small bristles on Bloodworms that he was feeding, lodged in the fish's intestines & the fish died due to the Bloodworms tearing the intestines apart.

I have not heard of this ever before... has anyone else? the vet also said that minced fish & Blackworms are the best food to feed an apisto, but i think that might be a little to high in protein for the fish, for a complete diet anyway.
    "We have to remember that we either live in nature or not at all. Through building and maintaining beautiful natural aquaria, people relearn the intricate connections between forms of life: plants, fish, microorganisms and humans. Riches and beauty come from harmony, from balance. Aquaria are great teachers of this truth." - Takashi Amano

Medium Discus
    Apisto are mainly micro-predators. Worm isn't part of their main diet in the wild, although they love them. They cannot take excess of them.

This "shell" is known as exo-skeleton, and little fish like apisto find them difficult to digest. So by spoiling them with worm is unfortunately one way to shorten their life.

I however do feed mine with bloodworm - but in very small quantity and about once a fortnight to once a month (whenever I remember, have the time, early enough, etc).

So far I've found no issue with the diet I've been using, discus granule and live BBS.

Larvae
    Bloodworms have hooks along each side if their bodies.....they are often the cause of bloat in African Cichlids which are used to more greenery in their diet....I didn't think they would be a problem with apiso's which have a higher protein diet in the wild....stronger stomach acid to dissolve the "hooks"???

Best foods for apisto's.....???

Mine have a staple diet of quality pellets....New Life Spectrum for small fish+ others
    + live foods once or twice a week......
    Black worms
    White worms
    Grindal worms
    Daphnia
    Blood worms
    Mosquito larva
    depends what's available/in season or propagating well

Personally I believe most ornamental fish....like humans....are overfeed
    I tend to feed fish once a day if mature.....twice a day if growing.....and live food once a day if conditioning before a spawn.

Big issue is to make sure you don't overfeed or uneaten food is removed before becoming septic.

Hi, I'm New Here!

unusual death in appisto

Rod & Thomas
    I recently had multiple deaths in my fish which I blamed on some new additions.

The symptoms are exactly as you are describing.

I have bolivian butterflys, and appistos and feed a single block of bloodworms and 2 of shrimp ever 4-6 days alternately.
    I do not mix with other dry food and dont add any other food at the same time.
    Due to unavailability of bloodworm sometimes I have dry worm on hand.

If the feeding of bloodworm can be a problem my appisto's, should I feed less and add dry food as well when I do.
    OR as my fish are young not feed them bloodworm at all.

The only choice you get here in the shops are bloodworm of brine shrimp, Can you ship other more suitable live food in the post?

New appisto lover Amazon Dee

Medium Discus
    intestinal perforation in a much hardier species than a apisto would kill it quicker than 2 days without treatment

it's my profession and i think it is full of BS, then i am pretty damn cynical... unfortunately

obviously magnification of the intestinal tract would have been needed to make this diagnosis, and then if the gut wall was perforated and damaged i still dont think you could confidently state that such a small object(as a body bristle on a worm) was the cause

the suggested diet of minced fish and blackworm is not a natural diet as thomas has pointed out

has anyone data to support that chitin(i assume that is that the exoskeleton is made of) is indigestabe
    as micropredators they eat insect larvae.. all have a chitinous exoskeleton
    i know i have feed mine heavily on daphnia at times and they have looked very healthy
    i use bloodworm from a local water source, only small number because that is all i can collect
    mosquito larva and blood worms are pretty similar insects .. do we all think mosquitoe larvae are dangerous/bad too?

i personally feel that when we dont know the answer , what grandparents said , everything in moderation is a good rule to follow
    with a varied diet an unknown deficiency issue can be corrected

Medium Discus
    datz publication makes comment that on stomach content studies chiromid larva where one of the more common findings

andrew

one of the hardest things to do at work is say i dont know and then explain why i still require paying...

Just an Egg
    well I'm glad to see like me, others do feed Blood worms to their Apisto's with no problems.. I have however cut right back to only feeding them on "special occasions", because they do love it...

I have been feeding them spirulina flakes, spirulina brine shrip & Mal's freeze dried blackworms. I will try out some of the pellets suggested in earlier posts, I think it's about time I started feeding them.

now I also feed bloodworms to my marines, will they have a similar effect? I currently feed them to my copperband, who loves them, but I'm noticing others in the tank are tking a liking to the bloodworms too!
    "We have to remember that we either live in nature or not at all. Through building and maintaining beautiful natural aquaria, people relearn the intricate connections between forms of life: plants, fish, microorganisms and humans. Riches and beauty come from harmony, from balance. Aquaria are great teachers of this truth." - Takashi Amano

Medium Discus
    Although I don't have any scientific proof of such issue on bloodworm, but I've had my bad time with apisto when they were being fed with the combination of bloodworm, discus granule as their primary diet in the past.

Guess it's really your decision - whether to take the risk or not. I've not found any issue of excluding bloodworm from their main diet so far (and still feeds it as an occasional treat).

Oh - I forgot to include NLS as another component of their diet for some species (some don't like them) at home.

Medium Discus

I Killed My Apistogramma

I wish to point out that it appears that this thread has been ignited by the unfortunatele death of my A. Trifasciatum (German). I took the fish to Dr Jim Greenwood, who among other things writes for Aquarium Keeper Australia magazine. Its fortunate I live close by to his surgery. Jim was gracious enough to invite me to peer through his microscope at the intestines of my dead Trifascitum. What I observed was terrible and somewhat akin to fiberglass splinters. Jim's recomendation to cease feeding Bloodworms to 'fine intestined fish' was imeadiately heeded. I now employ the usual diet supplemented with live blackworm and grated frozen flathead. The Trifasciatums were hard enough to come by and bloodworms are not worth the risk while safer alternatives may be had.

regards to all and please keep your fish safe.

Hassles

Larvae
    Perhaps if you feed frozen bloodworm twice a day for a week you may get a build up of bloodworm bristles??? Perhaps fish also "pig out" and consume too much at once.....unlikely to happen in the wild.

All live food has a potential risk if it's the only food given
    White worms make fish fat
    Mossie larva can introduce disease
    Tubifex can introduce disease
    Daphnia can act as a laxative
    bloodworms have bristles

Feed in moderation and alternate with other foods minimises risk....it doesn't eliminate risk and it's closer to a natural diet??

I prefer to feed fish these foods live....not frozen as I believe they lose a lot of nutritional value being frozen....frozen is easier but culturing live food is fun