Just an Egg

Plants suitable for African Cichlid tank.

Has anyone has anyone had experience using plants in african cichlid tanks, from what I have read Val and Java moss and ferns are suitable. any other plants? They will be planted in crushed coral substrate exept Java Ferns and CO2 supplied. Thanks in advance

Anubis will do well on a rock or driftwood, thats about all else i can suggest.

Just an Egg
    The only plants that ive sucessfully kept with africans are Crypts. They seem to get there roots going quick enough to deal with the constant rearangement of the gravel.

Just an Egg
    Well I have kept African Cichlid for 8 years in a Malawi tank(450L) and Giant val are good for it; however, I still think it is a waist of time. I put some in my tank and they were growing great for few months some time a year, and one day my fish suddenly decided that they don't like the plant anymore and start eating or chewing them away, and digging around the plant to unroot them. I tried several time with some plants and end up with the same result.

My advice would be to try to decorate your tank nicely with many rocks (that help keep high hardness and high ph) and a good water movement at the surface.
    ERRARE HUMANVM EST.
    SED PERSEVERARE DIABOLICVM EST.

Just an Egg
    Thanks for all the replies. I have read that Crinum thaianum is suitable has anyone tried thsi plant.

Hi, I'm New Here!
    Hi paulj
    Over the last 12 or so years I've keep Africans I reckon I've tried nearly every plant to see what would last the longest. From my experience I would keep plants longer, sometimes up to 2 years, if I kept the tank well stocked with iceberg lettuce. Very juicy and the fish seemed to enjoy the lettuce more than your plants. Even so if they were in a destructive mood that day it didn't stop them from uprooting the plants, just eating them.

Just an Egg
    Thanks to everyone for their help and I have found 2 lnks that give a very good indication of plants suitable.
    http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/plants_101.php
    http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/plants_102.php