Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lighting

I've used aluminum foil as a reflector before, i thought the results were quite good, a few people have told me that it reflects mainly blue light (proably why the red horemanni's did so well) i used to use 3 double 4 foot t8 lights (each was about 15cm wide) over the top, spacing isnt important so long as the whole tank is illuminated.

Just an Egg
    So i should put couple of layers of aluminum foil on the inside of the hood...The install lights...Secondly 5*36w T8's would be enough?

should be fine i've done well with 2-6, 5 should be perfect. go the al foil it's cheap and gets the job done in a few years when funds are available you can always add real reflectors

Just an Egg
    Yes this is a temporary arrangement....Secondly the height of the tank is 2 feet is it difficult to spread light in high aquariums.

Just an Egg
    Can you post some pics of your tank so i can see how it is doing It will help me in plant selection as well.

Medium Discus
    It is said that alfoil is not good because it difussors? the light not reflect it and it is said that painting the hood white will reflect the light much better

Just an Egg
    what about the lighting is it sufficent?