Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

The altum experience.

Being a complete optimist, I'm giving altums another try.

Now, wild caught altums are a fairly big challenge, but I figure heck, I'm a grandmother, that means I can do anything

So today I came home with ten gorgeous little altums, thanks to one of our sponsors, Finland Aquarium in Melbourne.

I have a heavily planted tank, with lots of driftwood and a pH of 5.6. Eheim filter and DuBarry UV. They are sharing the tank with a hundred neons, who have been in quarantine for the last month. So far, so good. They are all eating well and behaving normally. I think having the neons in the tank has helped them to settle in.

Angels, and expecially altums, are pretty smart fish. They seem to know that if the smaller fish are out and happily eating, then all must be right with the world, and it's safe for them to come out and play. They're exploring the tank, pecking at the plants and fighting amongst themselves, just the way I would expect normal healthy little fish to behave.

They'll stay in this 250 lt tank for the next few months, till they get some size, and then they'll be transferred to the ten foot tank, with some wild discus for company.

I've learned a lot, since keeping the last colony of altums. Lesson number one being don't add any new fish to an established colony, even after careful quarantine. My two year old colony was wiped out when I introduced a new fish that was evidently carrying some kind of virus. Lost 22 large altums in a week and that's enough to make anybody cry.

After 12 months of being altum free, I've decided to take the plunge again, this time taking a few more precautions.

Fingers crossed.

I'll put up some photos tonight.
    Thirty-five years keeping and breeding discus, and I'm still learning :P

Merrilyn has passed, but will not be forgotten - Goodbye dear friend

Wrigglers
    Good luck with this new lot, nothing worse than losing an entire tanks worth of fish due to some wacky disease.
    Looking forwards to some pics, really must visit FinLand sometime soon for a look.

Roy

good luck LR hope it all gose well good to see you trying again with them .i only have discus but love these guy and one day may give it a go my self so can you keep us posted and maybe i will learn some things from you witch would be nice thank you scott

Re: The altum experience.

Quote Originally Posted by ladyred
    They'll stay in this 250 lt tank for the next few months, till they get some size, and then they'll be transferred to the ten foot tank, with some wild discus for company.
    some pictures please. what wild discus do you have ??? the 10 foot setup would look amazing. please do post pictures if and when you get the time. its a pity Sydney Aquarium doesn't have a wild discus/angels exhibit.

Thats some very good infomation Merrilyn!

You dont need luck! I am sure they will grow into adult hood and last many years!

Put me down for some juvies when you breed them!

Cheers
    Ben

Larvae
    I think this is already a valuable source of information for those wanting to keep altums and I hope you're able to keep this updated with the good and bad, although I'm sure it'll all be good

As promised, some pictures of the altums in their new home. Apologies for the quality of the pics (taksan where are you when I need you )

The tank water is quite stained with tanins from the driftwood, so makes the fish a little more difficult to photograph (well that's my excuse anyway, and I'm sticking to it ) Afraid you'll just have to settle for these photos till we get our expert camera man on the job.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails altums_1_s.jpg   altums_2__s.jpg   altums_2_s.jpg  

Hiya Merrilyn,

Very nice little true alt's .... love em. Best of luck with this group, I remember seeing your last group and instantly falling in love with true alt's then and there. I'm sure this group will turn into being stunning adults in your care Would love to see pics as they develop

Cheers,

Dee

Interesting to note that the stripes on true altums are brown and silver, bordered by white.

Peruvians and scalare have black and silver stripes, so it's not just the dished face that distinguishes altums. You need to look closely at the stripes. And altums don't have red eyes
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails dad_with_fry____small__194.jpg   altums_5_s.jpg   dad_with_fry____small__194.jpg  

Just an Egg

Great Pics

All of you pics are lovely! I like the altums too. Had never heard of them before. I wonder if they are available around here?