Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DIY Sump

Hi, I'm New Here!

DIY Sump

This question isn't really related to discuses, but I was referenced here by another forum for my question.

I am planning on setting up a 30g long in the near future. I will probably use plans very similar to Proteus's DIY stand to save money. We have a bunch of old 10's and 20's sitting around downstairs, and I wanted to set up a sump with one of them inside the stand. I would like to include a section of wet/dry filtration, and an area to grow mangroves in. If it is possible, include some sort of mechanical filtration too. If not, I could use one or two of the HOB power filters we have downstairs in the sump. I also plan on putting my heater in the sump.
    The drill in tank method I would perfer to avoid, because we tend to have a lot of power outages here, and with a fairly small sump (10/20g), it is too risky. I don't know if a DIY overflow is a good idea or not, as it will be set-up in my bedroom, and I would like too avoid a lot of noise.

This forum looks great, I've been browsing around here and reading everything, and everybody seems nice. I've never kept discuses, but who knows, lifegaurding hours are getting bumped up this year, so possibilities are endless . Thanks for your time!
    ~Pyro

Blue Diamond Discus
    http://www.discusforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=764

if you have a look at this stet up i think it might be of some help

Blue Diamond Discus
    if your intake pipe is short enough only to drain out what your sump can hold you won't end up wet carpet

sounds like your looking for www.aquacrylics.com

they also do the over flow you are asking about

good price's, thier just in the US so freight sucks

gear looks good though
    RYAN --- DIY ROCKS!

Hi, I'm New Here!
    I actually saw that thread after I posted mine, and I think i'm going to use that sorta thing for mine as an overflow. I was wondering if anybody had any tips for my sump though. I'm trying to keep the price down (50$ max for the 'hardware'), and I was wondering if anybody had any suggestions more towards the layout of the sump itself. was thinking from the overflow it could flow into a wider PVC tube of bioballs, and then into the 10 gallon or something along those lines.
    Thanks for the help. I'm gonna start building the stand here pretty soon, and use flukes plans - Thanks fluke for the plans, they look great
    ~Pyro

Use a nice size container for the sump, then get a trash can and cut the bottom out this will be your bio tower. Attach egg crate too the top of the bin (there should be a lip) put you sponge ontop of the crate and the bio balls underneath, then cut a hole at the bottom of the bin for the water too escape, then pumpin the sump to get it back.

Simple!!

can't belive you posted DIY before me flukes

guess i'm getting slow in my old age

pitty is.... i would do the same thing
    RYAN --- DIY ROCKS!

heheh Ryan, ive taken the next step iam doing a class on joing acrylic i was getting sick of buying tanks and filters so now ill make them.

Should keep me busy for a while.

yeah,

i heard

thats all right

does anyone want anything made out of plastic, aparently i have a mate in the industry!
    RYAN --- DIY ROCKS!

Hi, I'm New Here!
    I have a bunch of old 10's and 20's downstairs that would fit under the 30 inside the stand. I'll put lights in it so i can grow plants in them. Would placing a wider piece of pvc on some crate like object, keeping the end of the pvc off the bottom of the tank, and filling the pvc with bioballs do for a wet dry? Then the water would go through the sump where i would just place 2 HOB power filters we have around our house, and I could grow mangroves or some other nitrate absorbing plant do? Would this work? I drew a picture of my idea (excuse the picture - i'm not very artsy )

Thanks for all the help and replies by the way, this forum is great
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails sump2.jpg  
    ~Pyro