Thread: Discus 101

Hi, I'm New Here!

Discus 101

Im planning to convert my 75gal community tank into a discus and this is what I was thinking...

White Butterfly Discus (4)
    Snow White Discus (4)

Zebra Danio (15)

L306 (4)
    L128 (4)
    L129 (4)
    Clown Loaches (6)

I know the danio's will be fish food but I dont mind replacing! All fish will be at their smallish stage of life.

Medium Discus
    You mabe OK when these fish are young. The problem is, they all do grow up.

It will be way over stocked soon. I would say within 8 months to a year. 8 full grown discus in a 75g tank is pushing the limit already. Plus other fish you have in there, you are going to have some serious problems. Clown loachese can get really big too. I think the Ls you are talking about are cat fish or plecos, which can get big too. All these in fact adds heavey bio load on your tank. Plus the 8 discus, you are way over the limit of the tank can support unless you do few 90% WCs daily.

Hi, I'm New Here!
    I am planning to move all the discus into other tanks as soon as i get pairs... and the left overs can stay in the 75 gal.
    The L# are plecos that stay around the 10cm mark. The clowns will take many years to get to a decent size. Also I have many filters on the tank, two canisters and one internal.

SnakeSkin Discus
    IF i was you, I'd cut back to 6 discus of one strain. This way you can have the fish you want in the tank - Providing you have say 2 x 1500LPH Cannisters.

Reason behind that is - Plecos of any sort are poop machines.

I would also cut back to 10 Zebra Danios