Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Medium Discus
    Quote Originally Posted by flukes
    Hows the plans for the tank going mate,??
    Got any ideas on what size tank you want or what strain of discus?

Its a fun time setting up a discus tank, infact i think i have the urge coming on.
    First thank you Ryan and Marie for welcome me
    Second I already got a 4fter tank and at the moment I am doing cycle with 4 big gold fishes. I have not decided yet, but for the start I might get 4 young ones, as you all know this hobby will drive us broke. Let me know when the urge coming on, I might help some thing.

Have you tried fishless cycling mate??
    http://www.discusforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=895

Have a read through it and if you have any question, shoot. Makes things a bit easier because once completed you can load the tank up with all the fish you want.

The cycle your doing atm, might not produce enough bacteria for 4 discus and might create ammonia which can be fatal too them.

Just trying too save you trouble in the long run, also alot quicker.

Then if your tank is ready and your not ready for fish you can keep the bacteria alive by adding more ammonia.

Just remember too keep it out of reach from the kiddies and look after your self aswell..

Cheers
    Scott

Medium Discus
    Have you tried fishless cycling mate??
    http://www.discusforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=895

Have a read through it and if you have any question, shoot. Makes things a bit easier because once completed you can load the tank up with all the fish you want.

The cycle your doing atm, might not produce enough bacteria for 4 discus and might create ammonia which can be fatal too them.

Just trying too save you trouble in the long run, also alot quicker.

Then if your tank is ready and your not ready for fish you can keep the bacteria alive by adding more ammonia.

Just remember too keep it out of reach from the kiddies and look after your self aswell..

Cheers
    Scott
    Hi Scott

Thanks for that, actually I did read this method, but I was not 100% convinced myself, and plus I read many other forums most of them use the old method ie fish cycling. I have been doing for 2 weeks now. I have not got Nitrite, Nitrate test kit, so I don't know what ppm is?
    Let me think it over tonight, I might give it a go not for rushing for discus but for the test.

Cheers

ps Have a nice weekend all

Most people dont have the patience for fishless cycling, they hear someone say its quicker than the traditional method and the expect it too be over in a week or 2.

Cycling a tank the traditional way with gold fish will take you at least 4-5 weeks before it is completley finished.

Even if its not quicker than the old way, there is no harm to fish and no chance of them bringing desease too your tank.

Anyway ive preached enough, do it dont, its up too you.

Medium Discus
    Most people dont have the patience for fishless cycling, they hear someone say its quicker than the traditional method and the expect it too be over in a week or 2.

Cycling a tank the traditional way with gold fish will take you at least 4-5 weeks before it is completley finished.

Even if its not quicker than the old way, there is no harm to fish and no chance of them bringing desease too your tank.

Anyway ive preached enough, do it dont, its up too you.
    Hi Scott

Please don't be like that, I really appreciated your help, this morning I could not find the powder thing from Safeway, for the time being I returned the gold fish to the owner and I took things from his tank such as gravel, plants, and sponge from his filter as well, and I let my filter run without fish. I'll try some differrent store tomorrow. Thanks

ctuv now that you have returned the goldfish to their owner you will need to 'feed' all that good bacteria that has grown in your filter so far. Without fish producing more ammonia to feed the bacteria, they will die. However you can keep the tank going till you get your discus by simply adding fish food to the tank daily. That will produce a small amount of ammonia to keep your filter going. Naturally you will syphon off all that rotting food, do a big waterchange, and check your water for ammonia and nitrites the day before you plan to add your fish. Good Luck
    Thirty-five years keeping and breeding discus, and I'm still learning :P

Merrilyn has passed, but will not be forgotten - Goodbye dear friend

Sorry mate, i wasnt being rude. Its just ive been preaching about fishless cycling a bit too much lately and some must be getting annoyed by now.

Oh yeah ammonia isnt a powder it is a liquid. Go too the cleaning isle. It will be in a clear bottle.

The home brand has a white lable but i think this is cloudy ammonia you dont want that. Mine is called Power Ammonia and it has a yellow lable with red writing.

What ever you find give the bottle a shake, it should not foam at the top, it might have one or 2 bubbles that will pop but cloudy will foam at the top.

Medium Discus
    I found the power ammonia as per your instruction thanks Scott.
    OK here what I have done so far today in the tank there are some plants, gravel (not whole tank because it'll be bare bottom) ... and I put roughly 2.5 ml or less of power ammonia then I tested the water it said 1.5 mgl on the chart. I don't know what is different between mgl and ppm? anyway on my chart 5 mgl is the highest so I am guessing what we are trying to get the peak of ammonia in my case it is 5 mgl, am I right?
    Please tell me what I have missed out.
    Thanks a lot

Yeah 5mgl should befine try not go too far over though, if you can get too 4mgl thats fine. Just keep it there for at least a week till you see some nitrite readings. Once you see the nitrite readings half the amount your adding.

Medium Discus
    Yeah 5mgl should befine try not go too far over though, if you can get too 4mgl thats fine. Just keep it there for at least a week till you see some nitrite readings. Once you see the nitrite readings half the amount your adding.
    Thanks a lot for that Scott, so I am on the right track I guess. Hopefully it works. Thanks all your helps