Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Wrigglers

A. cacatuoides "orange flash"

G'day

I'm interested in an A. cacatuoides "orange flash" male. Has anyone seen these around in the shops lately in Sydney? (I guess probably not in the last wee while, since I have been looking around and haven't found any.)

Or anyone to perhaps sell me one?

Cheers

San Merah Discus
    I had this little fella a little while back. Got him from Aquapets but he got crook and died. Haven't seen many around lately but they pop up now and then.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails flash.jpg  

Wow, that's gorgeous Rob. Sorry to hear you lost him.
    Thirty-five years keeping and breeding discus, and I'm still learning :P

Merrilyn has passed, but will not be forgotten - Goodbye dear friend

San Merah Discus
    Yeah I was bummed too. But with apisto's I think you get used to losing good fish.

I suspected he might have worms due to the stringy poo in that pic. Gave him the Prazi treatment and he never came out.

Larvae
    SLS had a very small dodgy looking orange flash male in one of their tanks about a month ago. (The last of the bunch.)

BNC are going to be importing some yellow cac's in the future. Have already put my name down for some.

p.

San Merah Discus
    There are yellow's at aquapets right now. BNC had some nice triple-reds about 2 weeks ago. Pretty expensive for cacs and there were no females that I could see.

Wrigglers
    Yeah, the B&C triple reds are quite nice - I got one myself and for $35, it was quite expensive for a cac, but I couldn't resist.

Anyone else bought the "peru wild" cac from SLS? It is only F1, despite the "wild" designation. I suppose the "wild" bit only meant it didn't have a lot of colours! Mine died of dropsy- how are yours going?

Medium Discus
    dropsy, like when they get fat and their scales stick out away from the body?

Blue Diamond Discus
    yep
    but in small dwarfs they are prone to fish tuburculosis which comes from bad genetics and is heriditary
    some people will miss diagnose the two
    chris
    It's always darkest before dawn ... so if you're going to steal some rocks
    from your neighbours garden for your display tank, that's the time to do it.

Medium Discus
    If it's bacterial dropsy (pinecone), when caught early enough, repeated salt baths 2 - 3 times a day for a week help. I brought back a female aggie by putting her in a fry trap, one of those plastic ones, and putting about 1/2 a teaspoon of sea salt in with her every 4 hours or so. The salt leaches out of the trap through the slits into the main tank (which in my case is a 4ft) so the fish is not constantly suspended in a heavy brine solution. I constantly fed live food, too, to keep up its interest in feeding. after a week the bloat had gone and the scales were back to their normal flatness.