Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hi, I'm New Here!

discus changing colors?

so i bought 3 baby blue turqs about a week ago, when i got them they were a dark color, almost a brown, i have been feeding them and making sure they temperature has been good, and tonight i went to the movies and when i came back all 3 of them are now a silver greyish color, since i got them they have been almost a brown color,

is that a good or bad thing?

i hope they are not sick

Wrigglers
    I had the same thing happen so some blue turksd I brought home. It's related to stress. When they settle in their colour returns. I believe it's 'normal' and provided to kepp them fed, tank clean etc etc their colour should be the same as it was when you saw them in the fish shop.

SnakeSkin Discus
    yea its stress, my snakeskin turns really really dark when hes spawning also when sometimes for no reason.

yeah give them a bit of time an theyl settle in, they may take a few weeks to settle in though, its very common for discus to take a while to eat aswel.
    Nathan

Hi, I'm New Here!
    Usually discus change colors when they are stressed. They also will change colors to bled into thier enviroment. When I first got my discus the blue discus turned almost black because of the background that I had that was black.I changed it out in favor of a lighter blue background and in a week to ten days his normal blue color returned. Just something to think about.

Marinemom

Blue Diamond Discus
    if they go ghostly white though id be checking the water parameters for ammo and nitrites just as a precaution
    chris
    It's always darkest before dawn ... so if you're going to steal some rocks
    from your neighbours garden for your display tank, that's the time to do it.

Just an Egg

discus colors

I have 4 snakeskins in a 72 gallon tank and one of them is quite a bit bigger than the rest and this fish will sometimes roll like nose up and tail down and turn almost black. Why does it do that? I can go to the tank and when it sees me it right itself and goes back to a beautiful color? Do I need to do something different?

Just an Egg
    Hello? Does anyone know why a discus would turn dark for no apparent reason? just seeking the wisdom of all you discus gurus?

Just an Egg
    Because it feels like worrying you...

Dont take my advise seriously i'm talking crap but these are the type of fish that would.

Just an Egg
    Good answer. I thought that was what it was. LOL

i think your PH is too low. it happend to my discus before. try to change your water more often and make sure the PH is not too low. thats what my local breeder told me.