Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Fry attaching to parents.

Well i must say this must be one of the most frustrating things about breeding discus.
    Ive started this post for some ideas on how to help the little tuckers find home.

* Lower the water level as far as possible.
    * Remove anything you can from the tank. (The swimmer i have at the moment keep attaching to plant leaves.
    * Reduce the light or half the light in the tank.

Any other that might help just add them on. Ive just had a whole batch of fry died because they couldnt attach to the parents.

Wrigglers

Re: Fry attaching to parents.

Quote Originally Posted by flukes
    * Lower the water level as far as possible.
    * Remove anything you can from the tank. (The swimmer i have at the moment keep attaching to plant leaves.
    * Reduce the light or half the light in the tank.
    I've also read to remove anything black. Are the parents a light color? I've read they fry are attracted to dark colors.

agreed, thats why black backgrounds are not as good as light coloured ones
    RYAN --- DIY ROCKS!

anything dark coloured and anything that vibrates in the water (like filters) will attract the fry. To be sure, remove all plants and decorations and have a completely bare glass tank. Filter intakes should be covered with white filter wool to discourage fry. If the parents have not mouthed the eggs and fry, the babies have a hard time realising they should attach to the parents. The best parents are those which spend time mouthing the fry and spitting them back into the bunch, before free swimming. It tends to be a learned experience,and parents usually get it right sooner or later. I have stopped using sponge filters in breeding tanks because they tend to darken with use, and so attract fry.
    Thirty-five years keeping and breeding discus, and I'm still learning :P

Merrilyn has passed, but will not be forgotten - Goodbye dear friend

Well this is the yellow PB pair and its only like 3 fry that made it. The thing is the spawned on the plant pot so i cant take it out yet. Although they arnt totally free swimming yet but as soon as the get off the pot its gone. Ive darkened there side of the tank and turned down the sponge filter. I was also told too wrap the sponge filter in white nylon which i have done.

Well guess its the waiting game now, i hopefully i can get this breeding rack up soon so they can have there own 29 because now they are in a sectioned off 4fter.

Ahh well all in time.

If they are not all free swimming yet, there is still hope of the others attaching. I have seen them bounce around the bottom of the tank for 48 hours before attaching to the sides of the parents. So -- fingers crossed.

Eaten, ill take out the pot now, have a better chance without it.

Bad luck Flukes. But look, you have discovered a lot about your pair. First they are a true pair. Second the male is fertile, and third they can hatch their eggs into wrigglers. Thats a lot further advanced then you were 2 weeks ago. Give them some time. They will get it right.

Yeah iam going to have to get them there own 29'gal because even if the fry do become freeswimming i sectioned the tank off with wgg crate so they can still swim through it. ah well plenty of practice for them in the mean time.

Well without use profanity, I am a little ticked off..

I had some wrigglers, it was day 2 and i thought i better go to spotlight to get some white nylon to cover up the sponge. So off i went happy as larry.....
    1/2 later i peer into the tank to get the sponge filter, and i have 150wrigglers on the sponge filter.

Iam not really going too bother with this batch as i have too stock the tank while iam doing some changes with other tanks so i need the space.

I ve been playing with the lights but doesnt seem like they are that worried where it is.

Ah well live and learn....