Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Pelvicachromis taeniatus Nigeria Red

I have a single male Pelvicachromis taeniatus Nigeria Red. I don't want to breed this fish, as he is destined for a peaceful planted community tank, but I would like to see him displaying better colours than he does now. I looked up this site, http://www.cichlid-forum.com/profile...es.php?id=1352 which describes the fish as having a peaceful conspecific temperament (describes personality of cichlid toward other tank- mates of the same species).

Do you think this is true? Would 2 males, initially in a 20G planted tank, with visual barriers, work. Or would they tear each other apart, even though being described as conspecific peaceful?

Advice appreciated.

Thanks,

Medium Discus
    if they're anything like kribs in temperament they should be fine ... I've kept 2 pulcher together without females and they didn't tear each other to shreds.

Thanks for the response wickedglass

Well, it didn't work out too well. I think because the original male had a week to make himself feel king of the tank (only having to share with 2 otos). He decided he didn't want to share at all & they only remained together for a few mintues. He was even attacking the plastic bag during acclimitisation, but started in earnest once I released the "intruder" into his domain. It may have worked out ok, if I had added both males at the same time. Guess I'll never know know.

The 2nd male is now in my community tank. He immediately coloured up well & both he & the other inhabitants seem happy.

Thanks for

Thought I'd share a shot of my Pelvicachromis taeniatus Nigeria Red. I like him so much, I wouldn't mind finding him a wife one day. I'd like to see how he looks when he's showing off to a lady. He is the prettier of my two males (they are in different tanks).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 28.09.06_p.t.nigeria_red_2.jpg  

Medium Discus
    they're a georgeous, beautiful fish ... Heinz had/has these, I was sooo tempted!

Thanks wickedglass, he is gorgeous. He is very peaceful too. Funny thing is a month or so after I got him, the same LFS had a pair for sale, but they were so much plainer than the ones I have. Both my males have nice red colouration on their chins and spotting on their tails, but this one's spotting is the prettier. My other male has a wife, but he doesn't seem to like her much, which is a shame.

BTW, is Heinz a LFS & if so, in Melbourne?

Just an Egg
    Heinz is the grand poo bahh of cichlids in melbourne - he set up one of the first LFS down here & has been in the game for ages.......one of the best sources of dwarf cichlids down here. he is retiring & has sold his business but continues to work there a coupla days a week providing advice for the guy who bought the shop......

Just an Egg
    BTW - awesome fish - very pretty indeed - or is it macho given he is a male...........

Thanks oskastolz

San Merah Discus
    I can't believe you don't want to breed those guys TW. I'd grab a female and let them go at it!
    Those guys probably aren't as common as a kribensis but they are definitely worth trying to get them to breed