Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Hi, I'm New Here!

Hi From Perth (56k beware) Geo Pics

Hi All

Just joined the forum after lurking for a while. Thought I would introduce myself. My name is Brian and I live in Dianella, Perth, Western Australia. Have been keeping fish for about 30 years (crumbs is it that long) and have always had just 1 tank so have very little breeding experiance.

I hail from South Africa and have been living in Perth for the last 12 years. Have kept SA's, Africans, Marines, and general community fish.

Have just upgraded my tank from a 5 footer to an 8x2x2.5. This is the biggest tank I've ever had and am really enjoying it. It is filtered by an eheim 2217, aqua one 2400, fluval fx5 and a tunze rail system. It has a constant drip water change system replacing about 4l per hour. Has mainly Geo's and SA's in it but also has some loaches. Some of the loaches have been with me since I settled in Perth.

Thought you might like some pics.....

Tank Setup

Drip System

Some of the fish

Well thats about it for now. Looking forward to many interesting nights on the forum.

Cheers
    Brian

SnakeSkin Discus
    wow awesome tank mate.

and a big welcome to the forum, hope you enjoy your time here
    Nathan

Hello Brian,

Now that's a great tank mate ... impressive ... love the layout. I have always loved geo's and you have some great examples there. Great photo's too !!!

Cheers,

Dee.

Hi, I'm New Here!
    Hi Brian

Good to see another West Aussie on the forum.
    Nice tank and pictures, especially your S.leucosticta, do you know how to sex these fish?? I have three and would like to know the sex of them, going by their behaviour I have 2 males and 1 female, but would like to confirm.
    Also interested in your drip water change system, can you explain it further, how it works.

Thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails dsc_0017_web.jpg  

Hi, I'm New Here!
    Thanks Guys

Have no idea how to sex them, I have 2 and sometimes they behave as a pair and sometimes as 2 males... will have to wait and see....

Drip Sysyem

Firstly I made an overflow from pvc to hang on the tank. Does not have to be flash as it is only taking 4l/hour to waste, so ordinary hose pipe works fine.

Bought a pressure regulator to fit on an outside tap and some thin irrigation hose. Take hose from pressure regulator through an old canister filter filled with carbon (no motor) to remove chlorine and then to a 4l/hour drip fitting I got from Hardware store starting with B.

As water drips in, it overflows out through the pvc overflow. I used an ehiem U Tube (brown in the diagram) and the hardest part was finding the correct fittings that would allow the thinner inner pvc pipe to travel through the bottom of the thicker pipe and also connect to a hosepipe fitting.

I drilled a small hole in the top of the u-tube and siliconed a check valve in the hole. I connected some airline tubing to the valve which allows me to easily prime the u-tube.

Just keep an eye on it when feeding and if any air bubbles are noticed, suck them out. Been a week now and no air bubbles have formed.Works a treat.

At this flow rate, the cold water does not seem to be an issue. Will have to see if in summer the black irrigation hose heats the water too much and I may have to insulate the hose.

Cheers
    Brian

Wrigglers
    Welcome to the forum.

Larvae
    nice DIY job!

Great fish!

Larvae
    What an amazing setup, I love it. Loving all the geos

Medium Discus
    I wonder what do you use to remove the nasty stuff from the source water?

Hi, I'm New Here!
    Hi

Thanks guys

I have the water dripping into the tank through polyfilter and carbon. Seems to be working well.

Cheers
    Brian