Thread: trickle system

Just an Egg

trickle system

hi guys im just after as many pics of plumbing of trickle systems, i have set up one but it just wont drain properly i have all tanks plumbed with 20mm bulkhead fittings and 25mm hose all seperate drains to the sump, maybe this is my problem? its just that i cant have much flow into the tanks or they overflow.. maybe i need to connect a few drains together going to the sump to create more sucking action?

any help would be appreciated

Jamie

San Merah Discus
    Can you post a picture or two ? That would help us give some idea before giving advice.

Thanks

Medium Discus
    shouldn't require suction to runa trickle system

have you fitted bulkheads therough the glass or are you using syphon boxs?

andrew

Just an Egg
    bulkhead fittings just through the glass no overflow boxes or anything! camera is out of service atm... or i would!

im thinking maybe because the inner diameter of the bulkhead fittings are 20mm and im using 25mm hose is causing the suction problem i mite try using 20mm hose, i dont know if its creating a bottle neck for the water but im not running much flow into the tanks as they just fill up too quickly yet ive seen other people using simmilar setup with heaps of flow.... just something wrong with my drain somewhere.
    also will it make a differance if the drain pipe is in or out of water in the sump? mine are out of the water maybe it would help if they are under the water?

Cheers Jamie

Just an Egg
    Are the drains large enough for the pump you're using in the sump, you can use the calculator located on this page to work it out?

http://www.reefcentral.com/calc/drain.php

Just an Egg
    ive had to use a smaller pump which is probably only doing 100-200lt'h max per tank! and i checked and pipes will still be fine at 500lt'h

Just an Egg
    What does your drain look like coming out the back of your tank? I can solve the noise problem with a simply Tee, a cap and some airline hose!

Just an Egg
    And, can even help you solve the flow problem! Shoot me a PM