Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hi, I'm New Here!

Beginning first discus tank - some opinions sought~

I am beginning my first discus tank which has involved a lot of reading so far and the set-up of a planted tank with plants chosen specifically for discus (lots of vals, java fern, dwarf subulata etc.). The tank is a 37 gallon former Eclipse (I say former because I have had to modify it due to the lack of sufficient light for my plants). It now will have an Eheim 2213 canister filter and coralife lighting.

The tank has substrate consisting of a layer of soil, a layer of onyx sand and a layer of black aquarium gravel (I needed to add the last to keep the soil beneath the surface for the plants). There are a couple large rocks with large holes for them to swim through and driftwood in the bottom.

How many discus should be in the tank? I plan to keep them there into adulthood if possible and don't want to add too many juvies to account for their adult size. I also plan to add about 5 cherry shrimp. I have read the discus will not eat them - anyone heard anything different?

Anyone have other ideas or answers? Thanks - I've been lurking on the site reading up on discus care and this is my first post -- very informative site -- thanks so much!
    In the end, you only hit what you aim for...

San Merah Discus
    Hi Telperion,

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on getting into Discus.

As a general rule you should have 1 adult Discus to 10 gallons of water so in your case 4 fish. However, if your filtration and water change regime is more than necessary then you can push the boat out a little. What are the dimensions of your tank?
    Cheers
    MAC

Medium Discus
    Be careful with your pH level. You need to make sure the substrate and rocks are inert. Otherwise you will have a very high pH, which is not good for Discus.

Hi, I'm New Here!
    sorry -double post somehow (see below please)

Hi, I'm New Here!
    Thanks - so far PH has been stable. I'll continue to check once fish are added.

Is it better to add one at a time or all 4 at once? I intend to order mine from a breeder because our LFS discus are all dark and peppered. Hmmm. Not so great. Also, is it better to get really young fish or medium sized sub-adults? Can sub-adults be sexed?

Dimensions are 30 inches in width, at least 12 inches in depth and the rest in height (forget the dimensions but standard Eclipse 37 gallon dimensions). It seems rather tall to me. Taller than my 55 goldy tank.

San Merah Discus
    Hi Telperion,

You are better off adding all four at once. Sub adults can be sexed but not with any certainty, it is difficult at the best of times unless they are just about to spawn.
    MAC

Larvae
    gday

have made the jump to discus and haven't moved from my tank in days!!!
    at this rate my house will be an aquarium!

i added my first four days ago - as you have said all at once is better -
    would the four days have been too long or am i being petty and paraniod!

gro

San Merah Discus
    Four days too long for what?
    MAC

Larvae
    between adding another!

(stupid question probably, apologies, just getting excited about my new collection)

may need something to help me stay calm!

gro

San Merah Discus
    Hahahaha, I love the enthusiasm! There isn't a stupid question apart from the one you don't ask. I'm sure 4 days will be fine. Just keep up the water changes and food and u'll be fine.
    MAC