Just an Egg

New Discus Tank

Hi everyone, I am starting a new discus aquarium. Please help me out
    in a few things

1-Exact dmensions
    length 122cm
    width 46cm
    height 61cm

2-First of all decoration tell me live pants or artifitial.

3-Should i use stones and wood. If i use wood can i use Bogwood?

4-About filtration should i use power filter and undergravel filter? I
    know i should go with an external canister filter but i think i might
    not have enough funds available for another two months.So any thing
    that can work for couple of months.

5-And how to mature the water someone told me to put a piece a meat in
    it to rot.should I?

6-thirdly about lighting what i have available here are 40W 4 feet
    long flourecent lamps,energy savers,what power to use as not to
    disturb discus as they have sensitive eyes, and keep plants alive if
    you suggest live,plantation.

7-Ok gravel how much thick the gravel layer should be?

8-Nitrosomonas bacteria how to produce these easily if you guys refers to any liquid medicine hard to find here..incase you guys dont know anything about this please consult this link http://rockymountaindiscus.com/Discu...rification.htm

i live in Pakistan and we dont much variety of medication here for growing bacteria or something like that...

***I know a few of you might suggest bare bottom tanks but i like plantation and discuss equally so i would rather combine both

I will bother you guys again if i need help again bare me for a few days and thanks for all your help

Aks

SnakeSkin Discus
    id be waiting before you have enough money to start the whole tank, otherwise things can get complicated and will mosyt likely end up in deaths of discus an costing you even more money, id be waiting until u can afford an external cannister filter.

live plants will cost you more money again an can be quite hard keeping a planted tank especially with the water temp so high.

HTH
    Nathan

Medium Discus
    2. I would go with plastic plants

3-Bogwood is perfect fot Discus

4-no undergravel filter, I would wait for the cannister filter if possible

5- how to mature the water. One cocktail shirmp (dead or raw) would do the job. Just watch the ammo and nitrite level to be sure the cycle is completed/ Remember, it may take few weeks to do the job.

6-If you don't use live plants, 40w should be fine

7-I would be very careful with the gravel. Make sure it is inert so it does not change your pH level

8-Nitrosomonas bacteria. It is everywhere in the water. The problem is having enough of them in your tank. That's why you mature your tank, or cycle your tank.

You did not say about heater, you need that in your tank to keep about 28C to 30C for the discus.

Watch your pH level and do regular W/C at least one or two times a week. Some people do daily W/C.

Just an Egg
    thanks for help everyone but here it goes l

ive plants i can afford they dont cost much here...

i will buy a canister filter within a month of initial setup and discus will not be introduced by then.

ph levels i know discus like slightely acidic water and as for temp 9 outta 12 month in year we have a temperature of 26-30 so i can easily maintain 30.

now i think i will approach this differently canister filter will be available no worry about that but for the first month i want to plant live plants lighting help is appreciated i can use halogens?

i want plants to settle mature the water and then introduc discus

hope i am planning it right and funds arent too much problemthey aint scarce but they arent unlimited either .

Natural plants are not expensive here....(those that are available)

***To all members i bilieve this may be a hectic answering so much questions but i am starting a new tank i will go all the way with a little guidence***

Welcome to the forum AKS. Very pleased to see you are asking questions before you purchase your first discus.

The way you run your tank will depend on a few things. What's the pH of your water, and are you able to do frequent water changes, like could you manage 25% three times a week, or could you only manage 50% once a week or maybe twice a week.

Discus are not really difficult fish to keep, but they do have certain demands to remain happy and healthy.

As you are new to fish, I'm going to suggest to you a method that is almost failsafe.

First, your tank is fine for up to 6 fish. I'd buy them all at once and let them grow up together. If you only intend getting 3 or so fish, then once again, buy them all together and all the same size. Two fish on their own usually end up with one being bullied. Three or more is better.

To begin use a bare bottom tank. Discus like their tanks kept very clean, and having the tank bare you will see just when you need to clean. Now, just because you don't have gravel doesn't mean you can't have plants. Alot of plants can be grown on bogwood and have a very beautiful effect. You may also like to grow one or two large plant in pots with gravel. Amazon sword plants are ideal for this and can look wonderful.

When you have successfully kept your discus for about 6 months, then begin adding gravel and plants if you wish.

There is lots of information on cycling your tank on this forum. Just be sure you get some good test kits, and follow the cycle progress carefully. It can take up to 6 weeks to fully mature your tank and filter, before you can add fish.

As far as filters go, with such a big tank, a cannister filter would be best, but if you have a good strong air pump, you could run the tank on sponge filters alone. All your filter is, is a home for your nitrifying bacteria. They need somewhere to colonize, with good water flow and adequate oxygen. Three fairly large sponge filters would do a very effective job on a tank that size (I've done it) especially if you begin with a bare bottom tank, and you're able to do frequent water changes.

Good luck, and keep asking questions.

Lots of friendly and experienced discus keepers here willing to offer you advice.
    Thirty-five years keeping and breeding discus, and I'm still learning :P

Merrilyn has passed, but will not be forgotten - Goodbye dear friend

Quote Originally Posted by aks
    9 outta 12 month in year we have a temperature of 26-30 so i can easily maintain 30.
    Aks where in Pak are you ??? you will need something for May, June and July when the temp will most likely hit 45. I kept them in India and the water from our house tank would sometimes come out at close to 50 degrees . you can use a top filter for your tank. you also have to be prepared for power outages (depending on which city you live) i lost 8 out of 10 of my discus to power outages back then. if you dont have any experience with fish keeping i suggest keeping some inexpensive tropical fish for a few months. also you will need to test your water for hardness and chlorine. in our part of the world they use a hell of a lot of chlorine. maybe water from a "handpump" or "tubewell" will be better.

Just an Egg
    Thanks Merrilyn (hopefully got the name right)

Water changes arent a problem this is not my first tank and i give 2 hours a day to my fish i also watch them while studying so that makes around 10 hours a day lol...

I know PH requirement monitaring ammonia and nitrates i will take care of that i have a reverse osmosis filter in my kitchen i will fill tank up using that if you think thats Ok?....Water at room temperature is around 28 Celcius so that will help as well...

In a canister filter there are three portions tell me which material to fill which portion and what should be the filtration rate.

And i know bare bottom tank do well for beginners but i am really stuborn on using gravel sorry about that...lol

***I am gonna give my fish utmost care as i have been doing for all my fish***

only use half RO water, dont fill only with that. you need RO water only if you tap water is hard.

Just an Egg
    Dear Samir,

Thanks for the advice man yes i have battery charged pump for that secondly in my residence power outages are no more than one hour. For heat i have 24 hrs of air conditionng on in those three month maintaing a temperature of 27 ceclius while my aquarium heaters are adjusted for the nominal temperature for the fish...

***I have 2 tanks already and have succesfully kept chiclids,angels,catfish,goldfish and in this hobby i have been for around 7 years.***

HaHa, that's okay. If you want gravel, then use it. We can work around it.

Start with around an inch of gravel in your tank at the front, and have the back a bit deeper for plants. Make sure you leave lots of 'swimming room' with plenty of open spaces at the front of the tank. Try just a few plants to begin, and then later you can add some more.

Cleaning is a bit more difficult with gravel, so invest in a good gravel vac, and be sure to use it weekly.

Welcome to the wonderful world of discus.

Looks like the discus bug has bitten you hard
    Thirty-five years keeping and breeding discus, and I'm still learning :P

Merrilyn has passed, but will not be forgotten - Goodbye dear friend