Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Filtration idea, your thoughts...

I was thinking, after looking around a bit.

How much more effective and simpler it would be to use a commercial style pond filter on a large tank.

One I am looking at, handles flow rates up to 4500LPH, and as a built in UV Clarifier.

This is just out of curiousity, but instead of having bits and pieces everywhere have everything in the one unit, adding of course an inline heating system...

here is an example...

Product description:
    Hozelock Cyprio Bioforce 9000UVC Compact Pressurised Pond Filter

Same as Bioforce 9000 but has an ultra violet clarifier which kills algae spores in the water

Hozelock Cyprio provides a 12 month ClearWater Guaruantee with all Bioforce UVC Filters (conditions apply, read information in package)

Max Pond Size: 9000L

Max Fish cm: 480cm

Max Flow Rate Through Filter: 4500L/hr

Inlet & Outlet Size: 20, 25, 32 & 40mm

Dimensions (Height x Diameter): 520 x 390mm

Lamp: 11W UV, useful life of 12 months (for spare part price click here)

Cable Length: 10m

Power Consumption & Voltage: 11W 240V

Guarantee: 2 years
    for more info refer to...

RockAroundTheBlock.com.au

Hi Proteus - flow rate is a bit quick for me. I thought about a pondfilter too for my 8 footer. It would certainly handle the water clarity but do nothing to remove bacteria and pathogens because of the short exposure time to the uv. JMO
    Thirty-five years keeping and breeding discus, and I'm still learning :P

Merrilyn has passed, but will not be forgotten - Goodbye dear friend

you could always use a slower pump (I believe the pump is seperate to this unit so you can custom grade it)

Then its gotta be worth looking into. Post results if you decide to try it. I've currently got 3 canister and 2 large internal filters on my big tank. Would love tofind a way to simplify the equipment. What sort of price are they quoting?

For this setup, $485.00

(remember, that does include a UVC unit which on its own will cost $150-$300 depending on the brand and quality level)

Larvae

to replace what exactly?

I guess that if it is replacing a simple canister filter, it has be an improvement; if it is meant to replace a typical wet&dry system, I have a few doubts.
    They claim to treat thousands of litres of pond water, but I wouldn't use it in my pond. My 3000L pond has 3x220L drums (as filters)+ 3x45L boxes with plants + 1UV light.
    From other ponds owners, these filters cannot cope very well if you have a decent number of fish. But in small tank it might just work!
    Gianluca (John)
    ADA member

Valid point on the pond usage Escher. But on a tank of around 1000 lts it just might solve a few problems. Still need to do some research though.

Just an Egg
    that filter is the exact one in my pond but i believe u do need a powerful pump for this system to work....correct me if im wrong.....

With this filter you might need to change the sponges after a while (as they srink ) but over all it is a pretty good system.. might take a bit long to get the bacteria alive but still worth the wait. the ph. and amonia levels have been very steady and none of the parametres change.

B.T.W. im running a large titan pump with the balljoint

hope i could be of assistance
    nick

Quote Originally Posted by ladyred
    Hi Proteus - flow rate is a bit quick for me. I thought about a pondfilter too for my 8 footer. It would certainly handle the water clarity but do nothing to remove bacteria and pathogens because of the short exposure time to the uv. JMO
    I thought a U.V Clarifier would only fix the clarity of the water, i think it wouldnt need too be a U.V steriliser too kill bacteria and pathogens. Iam i right on this?? It does say it cures algea blooms so maybe its does.

If that pump was designed for a pond then its must be built too cope with mother nature, in an aquarium we dont have that problem so in theory it should be able too clean an aquarium with no trouble. Would even be a bit of an overkill, but too me thats good i always overkill on filtration

But yeah if someone knows can we clear up the difference between a U.V Clarifier and a U.V steriliser??

Great post Ro,
    You got me intrested now.

There is a difference between a UVC and a UVS, I will put a post up with an article if I can find it.

A UVC will still kill nasties, just not as effectively as a UVS, however, a UVC wont harm your good little bugs, whereas a UVS pretty much wipes the lot out... dig what I am saying...

Both have there pros & cons, and many, especially here in Aus, are incorrectly labelled... (so many so called UVS's are really UVC's... fake advertising, not from the store, but from the manufacturer) easiest way to tell is the bulb... the UVC I have has the same bulb as a UVS unit I have seen in a store (mind you with an extra $195 added to the tag)...

stay tuned... a link will follow.