Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Larvae

Correct settings for reef system? Any tricks?

I've just setup my new tank and I am using a reef system for the first time. I'm still trying to fine-tune it Firstly it is quite noisy; it's like having a dishwasher on all the time with rhitmic moaning and groaning. Is there any trick to make it quiter? The weir is about 1/3 full including a tube with filter material around it as a pre-filter. Should I bother with it? Does it make any difference (both noise and quality wise)?
    My next is about the bioballs; is there a preferred ratio of bioballs that should be left out of the water for a better wet&dry functioning. At the moment 2/3 are immersed.
    Any help greatly appreciated.
    Gianluca
    Gianluca (John)
    ADA member

let me grab my digi cam and take some pics so I can help out...

as for the bio balls, to have an effective wet/dry system, only 1/4 to 1/3 should be submerged, or the bottom 2 layers...

Larvae

super quick

You are super quick! You must be glued to that screen. Much appreciated.
    Gianluca (John)
    ADA member

ok, here goes.

I think the ratio of bio-balls is one ball per litre...

effectively there should be 3-4 layers, first off a layer of fine grade filter wool, then a course layer (I use Eheim course filter pads (green nylon stuff)), then bio-balls, and if you want, a layer of ceramic noodles, cintered glass or matrix.

then there is the equipment, heaters (I have 2 in all my sumps/mini-reefs) pump, etc.

On my 95g/365L tank I only have some pvc pipe extending half way up to eliminate noise, as the turnover is 14 times per hour, the flow is such that there is little or no noise.

On my 180g/750L tank, I have a pond sponge fitted over a 10-15cm length of pvc pipe. The height of the sponge comes in handy, as it blocks up, the water level rises but is still being pre-filtered and it would take over a month to block this whole thing up. The sponge does 3 jobs, acts as a pre-filter, dampens the noise, and is a fry saver, as 90% of fry in that tank end up in the overflow... with the sponge there, they can stay there for an unspecified length of time as the water is clean, and food gets trapped in the sponge.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails dscn2390.jpg   dscn2386.jpg   dscn2392.jpg   dscn2388.jpg  

Larvae
    Thaks for the info. The pics are a great help. I will make a few mods and let you know.
    Thanks again
    Gianluca
    Gianluca (John)
    ADA member

Medium Discus
    Proteus,

Can I ask how you made the spray arm.......Looks great
    My online Aquarium www.rjconway.homeip.net

the spray is called a "rotating hub"

great, but pricey

but so are our fish so i guess thier cheap aren't they
    RYAN --- DIY ROCKS!

Medium Discus
    OH the old rotating HUB hey ! somebody gotta have made one of these. I saw a sprinkler head similar in Bunnings however did not seem big enough.

Anybody know where I can pick up some bioballs in vic. Does the volcanic rock really work as a replacment to bio balls.
    My online Aquarium www.rjconway.homeip.net

RYAN --- DIY ROCKS!

Larvae

Update on system

I raised the bioballs and added the other filter media. That has made a more even surface and smoother arm operation. As for the moaning and groaning it has now gone. It probably needed some time for the trapped air bubles to disappear.
    Now it is just a matter of sorting the water splashing in the wier chamber. But I might leave as it should promote oxygenation.
    The pump isn't the quitest though
    Gianluca (John)
    ADA member