Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Medium Discus

Differents between baenschi fry

Eggs of beta baenschi pair has started to hatch today (5 in the even when I got home, around 20 now).

As reported earlier in the other thread, the eggs are more deeper in red with this female.

Simialrly the fry is also VERY red.

I've added an old photo from fry of the initial pair (female now gone, male crusing around in another tank) with the photo of the lot that hatched today (more eggs are still to hatch, expect all hatched by tomorrow morning).

Thomas.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails day1_117.jpg   day1_141.jpg   day1_117.jpg  

San Merah Discus
    Interesting find. She's a beautiful female, what does dad look like? Any different to your original pair?
    Also where did you get that little cave from?

Medium Discus
    carotenoids in the yolk sac, much like colour of chicken yolks depends on how much greens they get

andrew

Medium Discus
    The two males are similar is colour, only one is slightly younger than the other (so are the females when the other was still alive).

I now have the believe that she didn't laid that many eggs as I thought because I can no longer find any more on the roof this morning (doesn't mean there aren't any more as I can only see part of the roof).

So the smaller in egg number could be a reason for red egg/fry??

As for the diet, this pair had the same diet as the last pair. So I don't think it's the diet that caused it.

Thomas.

Medium Discus
    it is definitely the carotenoids in the diet
    pigments are all derived from certain compounds , the astaxthin(sp?) that people were asking about on this site is one of the compounds that is used to produce colour in animals

if the diet you are feeding is the same then prehaps different batches of brine shrimp(or whatever you are using) have had differing leves of green feeds(this is where most carotenoids come from) maybe one pair just eats more greens

or prehaps the fish is better at utilising those pigments base units and converting them to colour , if that is the case then prehaps this fish will produce more colourful offspring

as an aside , i have just managed to hatch my baenschi's first spawn, they are only in a very small tank and were really just there for QT
    have you always used baby brine as a food for the young
    i notice my pair have a large number of fry and would like to raise as many as possible
    not got bbs on the go as i find them a bit tedious (i'm a lazy fish keeper) dont imagine any cruhed foods will do as the parents are primarily still only eating live food worms of avrious sorts dapnia and mosquito larvae

andrew
    oops also wanted to know how shy yours are, i havent taken photo's as i dont want to scare them as yet and they do seem a bit skitish

San Merah Discus
    Quote Originally Posted by fishgeek
    also wanted to know how shy yours are, i havent taken photo's as i dont want to scare them as yet and they do seem a bit skitish
    I've also wondered about this. My pair are extremely skitish, not so much the male who is almost always visible but the female is a disappearing expert. She'll be out one minute and then gone in a flash whenever there is movement in the room. I almost have to sneak into the room or take photos from the next suburb with my zoom lense attached!

Medium Discus
    In that case, it's probably this female is a better female than the other one. The diet and amount is identical between the two.

I've find them to be a little nervous with the first batch, the female will move the fry from corner to corner when a spot light is shine into the cave.

The last female has handled this pretty well after a few round of checkings, and she didn't mind the flash from the camera either. Since both are F0 fish, I don't expect there will be a problem with this female. The biggest problem with taking photos is to get them properly focus on the wigglers.

I've always had BBS for them, and the fry are ready to take them once they've reached free swimmer. At time where I forgotten to prepare a bottle, I uses frozen BBS (costing lots more) as emergency food for them.

Thomas.

Medium Discus
    Comparison between the 1st and 2nd spawn (in colour and size) of their first day.

Colour should be similar between the two, just cannot get it at the same distance from the last time (which has a much brighter photo).

Thomas.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails day1_154.jpg   day1_154.jpg  

There is only one better photo than a fish with its fry..........and thats a beautiful naked woman!

Great work mate!

Medium Discus
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben
    There is only one better photo than a fish with its fry..........and thats a beautiful naked woman!
    it's a fine fine line between pleasure and pain

if you don't already, you need a woman in your life, Ben, and if you already have one, well, h.ell, then I dunno. maybe a wet trout ... I'm gonna shut up now before I really put my foot in it