Larvae

metro at an affordable price?

I think that I may have probs. two of my little discus purchased four weeks ago are showing whitish excreta. I am feeding them a fair amount of brine shrimp, but I fear the worst because one of them is a little listless.

So if I were to transfer them to a smaller tank and get metro, where the hell can I get it at an affordable price? My local vet charged me $100 for three doses the last time I tried. I don't want to euthanise these lovely little guys without trying but I definitely can't afford hundreds of dollars for treatments.

I am in Gippsland, but could travel to Melbourne.

San Merah Discus
    PM sent.
    MAC

Just an Egg
    Miskates - can I get that PM too please?

Thanks
    Tom

San Merah Discus
    Hi Tom,

The PM wasn't what you probably think it was, it was nothing to do with where you can get Metro cheaply. Sorry mate.
    MAC

Hi, I'm New Here!
    by Metro - you mean Metronidazole antibiotics? They come in 200mg and 400mg tablets. Are these the ones, and how much would you need.

Welcome to the forum dino. Please remember that metro is a restricted drug, and can only be supplied on prescription from a vet or GP.

Lesley, I'm sure some of our members could supply you with the name of a 'fish friendly' vet in Melbourne. If you'd like to send me a PM, I'll be happy to give you the name of my vet, who is the chief vet for the Melbourne Aquarium.
    Thirty-five years keeping and breeding discus, and I'm still learning :P

Merrilyn has passed, but will not be forgotten - Goodbye dear friend

Hi, I'm New Here!
    Yes, I'm well aware that Metronidazole is a prescription only drug. I'm not sure how much your vets are charging you, but a private script (without using Medicare / PBS subsidy) for 21 tabs would cost only around $15. It would be illegal for a GP to give you a PBS script unless you were suffering from a condition requiring Metronidaole (eg diverticulitis or bacterial vaginosis, to name a couple of conditions), however you could try asking your GP for a private prescription. It would also be illegal to give (or offer to give) someone some Metronidazole unless you are a registered medical practitioner.

San Merah Discus
    Hey Leslie, how did those fish go? Are they OK?
    MAC

Larvae
    depending on if you need a lot or a little you can ask a vet for some cat/dog dewormer. or buy it at a weed and feed for pigs.