Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Whats the best Discus pellet food ?

Hi All,

whats the opinion on the best pellet food for Discus ? I want to get some Tetra Colour Bits, but thought id ask before ordering.

Cheers

D

i have heard that sera discus granules are very good also. i was able to get an early sample of discus breeders premium not long ago which all my discus love. i personally feed tetra bits, hikari granules, and what's left of my discus premium.

you can get more info on discus breeders premium from:
    http://www.discusforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=520

hth
    matt
    my Flickr photo page: http://www.flickr.com/photos/27593184@N05/
    my YouTube page: http://www.youtube.com/user/Mattzilla5000#p/u
    `·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((( (º>
    ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
    `·.¸¸.·´><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>><( (((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
    `·.¸¸.·´><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>

Ive heard stories that tetra bits expand in the fish's stomach if not pre-soaked, although i havent had this happen first hand it was enough to scare me away from it. Now iam using Diskus pellets but i am looking to get a hold of some of that Breeders Premium.
    Then again tetra bits are widley used and i havent heard of too many people actually reporting trouble with their fish from them. I hear every now and then they make the fish skittish but iam not sure if a food would be the reason behind something like that.
    If i was looking for something too start with id be trying discus premium, only because ive only heard good things about it.
    Again these are all just things i have heard, so i guess its up too you.

yeah if you feed your fish too much of any granuled food they may get bloated. just think about it. granuled food is dried so when you add moisture of course it id goping to expand. this goes for pretty much all granule food. if you food it to your fish in small doses then you will be fine. tetra bits are commonly used world wide so they are a safe bet to use. always look at the contents analysis. look for protien as close to 50% as you can get with minimal fat, fibre, moisture etc
    my Flickr photo page: http://www.flickr.com/photos/27593184@N05/
    my YouTube page: http://www.youtube.com/user/Mattzilla5000#p/u
    `·.¸¸.·´><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>><( (((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
    `·.¸¸.·´><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>

Hi Flukes and Mattzilla

Thanks for the info, yeah i read the thread about Breeders Premium a while back ... Looks Good ! can't find it anywhere though ... (in melbourne anyway). i will keep looking, if not i will grab some tetra colour bits. For now Hikari Blood Worms, Live Brine Shrimp and Beef Heart will have to do and a little flake here and there !

Thanks again !

Cheers

D

Can you folks get Dainichi down there? I've had most excellent success with my africans with it. I don't see a specific *blend* for discus, but I would think the Ultima or Color Supreme would work well. I test all my foods for expandability and moisture uptake. The nice thing about Dainichi is that it doesn't expand at all, it actually is an encapsulated powder that after a few minutes in water the outer coating (supposedly vitamin enriched) dissolves away and the *food* powder is released. No expansion like with compressed pellets and/or flake.

Just a disclaimer, I have never had, or have discus. Only an observation

Has anyone found a supplier of Breeders Premium in Melbourne. Hey Scott how about your mate at Mentone Aquarium?
    Thirty-five years keeping and breeding discus, and I'm still learning :P

Merrilyn has passed, but will not be forgotten - Goodbye dear friend

Ill give him a ring tommorow, I know i can get it interstate and i have some fish coming down soon so if i cant find it in melbourne ill get some down with the fish.

Oooow luverly - can I get some off you Pleease.
    Thirty-five years keeping and breeding discus, and I'm still learning :P

Merrilyn has passed, but will not be forgotten - Goodbye dear friend

Rang him this morning, he can get it but he has to order it in. They did have it in stock but has run out and they havent replaced it yet. If you like i will get some down later this month.

Pyrowolf - i dont think we can get divinchi down here, although i havent gone to great lengths too find it, i asked a couple of lfs's and no go.