Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Just an Egg

Need help with 1 of my discuses

(I hope i dont do anything wrong by posting in this section)

One of my discuses has been not good the past two weeks.
    i was hoping he would recover, but he doesent.

the two others are fine, and has nice colour, but this one is really pale,and showing his "stressbars", i have not put him in a separate container, to try to feed him up a little, because he's become really skinny, so skinny that i'm afraid to lose him.

in his container he leans like you can see on the images.

I dont have access to medication, i do have a JBL EasyTest 5 in 1, that's all i have at the moment that could indicate something, but that test ends nice.

all other fish is ok, and is not refusing to eat, it's this one discus only.

and i've just done a waterchange to see if it helps.

Any help would be grately appreciated.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails dscf0990.jpg   dscf0988.jpg  

Blue Diamond Discus
    did it use to swim with the other discus in the tank?
    how many do you have in the tank
    how big is the tank and whats your water readings?

Just an Egg
    i have three, i had to add one because of fighting.
    that went well, untill the past week or so.
    he does not swim alot with the others, he keeps hiding alot.

Water is ok, i checked with the JBL EasyTest.
    i have 3 discus,
    #1 is this one,
    #2 is one almost simmilar in size, but younger.
    #3 is bigger, and has the most colour, and was bought at the same time as the one in the picture here (they came from the same tank)

Just an Egg
    he's so skinny that it looks like his eyes are gonna fall out.

Blue Diamond Discus
    I have found that somtimes like in alot of animals that when an animal or fish that failure to thrive ends up drifting off from the group and waste away this may not be the problem in your case but to me it looks like it is there is not much we can do.

your discus could also have worms / fluke / or some sort of gastro bug.

at least it is eating and maby you should try medicating a beefhart mix for it to eat and see what happens

Just an Egg
    i 'll just keep him in there then, and try to feed him up, i sure hope he eventually will get better.
    if he has worms\fluke\gastro - should not the others show signs of it aswell?

is it possible for you to put him in a seperate tank, also where are you located? dont give up on him yet. maybe its just stressed from bullying. keep doing water changes till you get some better advice. i think putting it in a breeder net would just stress it more. if you dont have another tank put it in the same one and put the food in two different places and keep up the water changes.

Just an Egg
    i have another tank yes. a 33L one.
    the discus is small, so that should not be any problem. i'll move him there straight away.
    (the tank has been running for weeks, so it's just to move him in.)

Larvae
    The not eating apears to a result of some sort of stress. Lets narrow down our possabilies. for right now lets keep the stress incured by keeping them very low. lets narrow it down to three posabilities.

Give us all the stat's of your tank I want to know everything from pH and temp to ammonia and nites as of right now in both tanks

1) Mates ~ Is the ok smaller fish being picked on? have we determined if the large one is a male trying to keep another male away from a female?

2) Environment ~ Are all of our parameters correct for this sp?

3) Internal ~ Does the fish have a disease, fungus, or parasite?

#1 sounds like the most possible as the other discus aren't being affected. What does the rest of the forum think?

Just an Egg
    1) smaller ones does not get picked on, only chased once in a while, to the other side of tank or simmilar, but not often.

2) 30 degrees, plants, roots, hidingspaces, correct food, different food, both frozen and flakes.
    that goes for both tanks.

3) i dont know if it has a disease, i cant see anything that makes me believe that with my naked eye.

samir:
    i'm located in norway, kristiansand.