Just an Egg

cannister filter as a CO2 reactor

Just wondering if it would make a good reactor for my DIY CO2 setup. Connect the CO2 airline into the intake hose of the cannister. Would it work well? would the CO2 being pumped into the cannister make the cannister noisy?

Medium Discus
    I have done it that way for a bit and found it not very good at all.
    My canister never made a nosie only when it filled up with CO2 and let it go all at once,And crap and s***t blown around everywhere in the tank.

Just an Egg
    Thanks duck, I did a fair bit of research on it last night & most articles I read came to the conclussion it wouldnt work the best. What sort of reactor do you use?

Medium Discus
    I don't usea reactor anymore,The one i had wasn't cutting it,Now i'm using a little powerhead inside the tank working like a dream.

Duck do you mean a little powerhead, like the one in the Red Sea CO2 kit. It's just a simple cylinder filled with sugar and yeast mix, tubed to a small powerhead in the tank.

The red sea one is working well on my small planted tank, and I've got great plant growth. Thinking of doing it on another tank as well.
    Thirty-five years keeping and breeding discus, and I'm still learning :P

Merrilyn has passed, but will not be forgotten - Goodbye dear friend

Medium Discus
    Thats the one Ladyred, but i use a bit bigger pump, weirpoT500 600lph even in my 80 liter tank.

Just an Egg
    powerhead hooked up to a gravel siphon?

Tiny Fry

Re: cannister filter as a CO2 reactor

Quote Originally Posted by fishingjedi
    Just wondering if it would make a good reactor for my DIY CO2 setup. Connect the CO2 airline into the intake hose of the cannister. Would it work well? would the CO2 being pumped into the cannister make the cannister noisy?
    thats exactly how i got mine, it works SUPER! my reactor from my co2 system is on the shelf...
    if you love your fish: do not over crowd