Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    SnakeSkin Discus

blue/gold rams sick

hi guys ive had blue rams for about 6 months not one of them has died and they were spawining every three weeks, the past couple month they havent spawned and one of the rams seems to have developed somethin under its eye, and now the eye is coming out of the ram attached to this growth quite a bit. ive noticed that a lot of there colouring has faded and they dont look healthy, and i think some of the gold rams eyes are startn to do the same thing. has anyone heard of this before? if so could u please help?

nathan

Medium Discus
    Hi Nathan
    Im sure others can help...have you checked your nitrates....I have a vague memory of high nitrates causing gas to accumulate periorbitally...Ill check with Zoe when I get home.

Uncle Mike

SnakeSkin Discus
    i havnt but ill check them a bit later, i dont really think theyd be to high though the tank is quite balanced and havnt had any spikes for a while. anyway thanx for your help.

nathan

Wrigglers
    sounds like pop eye?

SnakeSkin Discus
    the nitrates and the rest of the water specs are fine. if it is pop eye what is the treatmeant?

nathan

Tiny Fry

Me too....

I seem to be getting that with my rams around about the same time. Not sure whether it be parasites or bacterial infection or even tb?

I did hear a while ago that my local LFS wouldnt import Rams anymore as they were often heavily laden with parasites...?

SnakeSkin Discus
    i bought my rams about 4 months ago so if they were goin to get sick they would have already by now. anyone know how to get rid of the pop eyes?

nathan

Medium Discus
    is the protrusion of the globe one sided or bilateral

exopthalmus(pop eye) is purely a description, like saying my dog is itchy in technical terms

if it is unilateral then i find using eye ointment containing both antibiotics and steroidal antinflammatories is beneficial
    i would image that in australia this type of medication would be prescription
    i apply it directly to the eye twice daily

if doing this best to keep the fish needing treatment in a small easy to catch tank/jug floating in tank

if the exopthalmus is bilateral then anything increasing pressure behind the globe can be the cause , and the difficulty then becomes diagnosis of an exact cause
    often if systemic illness and bilateral pop eye is occuring antibacterial remedies are suggested , treatment for bilateral exopthalmus can be frustrating

as with all fish related disease , good water, large frequent changes will help
    andrew

SnakeSkin Discus
    i heard that this sickness is terminal and most of the time your unable to cure it?

nathan

Medium Discus
    Hi Nathan
    It depends on the cause.
    Parasites, bacterial infection can be cured but it can be a problem.
    Other causes of oedema causing swelling can be a problem.
    Apparently (according to Zoe) it can occur if the water is hyperoxygenated (but I think this would be a very rare cause).
    Mike