Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New...

Hi, I'm New Here!

New...

Hi, I just signed up ,and i'm thinking of making my new 55 gallon a discus tank what are some cheap discus I should get and how many for a 55 also how should the tank be setup?....sorry if these qustions sound dumb but i've never had discus and think they look really cool too me so I thought I would dive them a try

welcome Sabre. If you have been reading this forum you will realise discus have fairly stringent water requirements with regard to filtration, heat and water changes. Most will change approx 25% of the tank water once or twice a week. Others (like myself) will change the water daily to promote growth in young fish and encourage spawning in adults. I would suggest that you start with turquoise discus which are locally bred and easy to find. They would also be the easiest to spawn. Start with 6 juveniles for your 55 tank. Keep the temp at 29 degrees, feed them well with a mixture of beefheart, frozen brine shrimp, good quality flake and Tetra Bits. When they get a little older white worms or frozen blood worms can be added to the diet. Feed at least 4 times daily (more if possible). Four small feeds per day will be better than two large feeds with the possibility of uneaten food polluting the water. I would start with a bare bottom tank. It is so much easier to remove uneaten food and fish poos. Plants in pots are good, as is some driftwood (buy only from fish store). As the fish get a little older you can add a sand substrate if you wish and plant into the sand.
    Discus like very clean water but not strong current in the tank, so fit your filter outlet with a diffuser or a spray bar to slow down the current. Keep watching this forum. There's lots of experience and good advice. And btw there are no dumb questions. We all started where you are now. Good luck. If you tell us your location I'm sure someone will be able to tell you where to go for reasonably priced local fish. I think discus are cool too. Welcome to the gang!
    Thirty-five years keeping and breeding discus, and I'm still learning :P

Merrilyn has passed, but will not be forgotten - Goodbye dear friend

Hey Sabre,
    Dont be in a rush too buy your discus, patience is a virtue. Ask some people here and iam sure someone would be able to help you find quality fish, make sure you get some good fish for your first time because poor fish can turn you off the hobby and there is alor of fish out there that arnt worth their price tag.

Cheers and welcome.!
    Scott

Hi, I'm New Here!
    Thanks guys I live in the US Georgia

first thing is first,

read heaps, read heaps and then read some more

next ask questions, ask some questions then ask some more

you'll save yourself $$$$$ in not buying things you don't need and you'll save $$$ by buying things you do.

Plus your dealing with a living creature, need to think of thier wellfare as well.

nothing more disheartening than loseing your first Discus because of somthing simple.

welcome to the habit. (it becomes addictive LOL)
    RYAN --- DIY ROCKS!

Hi, I'm New Here!
    i've had aquariums before and still do but i've never had discus,the tank is alredy set up and cycling for about 2 weeks now, it has a sand substrate and a total of 20 plants a giant castle for the centerpiece and a slate cave i'm not done adding slate. i'm I the only American on here?

ahhh,

your from america, but you want discus so you can't be all bad LOL

discus are the sort of fish that you just prepare for, get the tank setup, age your water, test your water, understand your fish, buy your fish from a good dealer, and ask questions, if your "friends" are not looking right ask questions, once thier in and settled its easy

other than that change your water and bingo... your a discus owner

sounds like alot but you have already done half of it!
    RYAN --- DIY ROCKS!

Hi, I'm New Here!
    LOL,sounds like I can do it

of course you can.......... to easy
    RYAN --- DIY ROCKS!

Just an Egg
    hopefully if my dad lets me, i might be able to get into the great art of discus keeping but first of all i got to ask how do u judge the qualiy of a discus thx
    nick