Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Just an Egg

SAND vs GRAVEL go sand!!!

ok heres the thing!

i have never had sand in my tanks because the experienced guys say dont do it,but why?

can anyone help?

if my new 6ft tank is going to be in my house in the same place for yrs to come i would really like the sand i think it looks amazing!
    one of the fish guys i met when i was living in new zealand showed me his tank setup and it looked amazing!

help help help please?
    thanks guys.

Free Swimmer
    Sand, or too finer gravel will compact down too hard and not allow nutrients to get to the plant roots as easy, and rot off the plant stems...
    ...at least this is what I am led to believe. The best overall I have found is a light gravel of about 2mm to 3 mm in size.
    NAME : Phil

SnakeSkin Discus
    IMO, sand looks way better then gravel in most cases...

Im currentely planning on changing from gravel to sand in another one of my tanks...

Then again, none of my tanks are heavily planted...so im not sure what is the case there..

But it makes siphoning heaps easier as all the junk sits on top of the sand as opposed to getting in and under the gravel... :P

an idea might be to have sand and only have plants that attach to rocks or driftwood?! plants like java fern, anubias, java moss etc
    DF.com Resident Cool Guy

Medium Discus
    I love sand! One of the keys for sand is to keep corydoras or brochis cats! the cats will filter the sand, and dig through it keeping it nice and loose. one of the arguments against it is, that if it compacts too much it will go anaerobic, but if you keep fishes that will dig through it, it won't be (in my experience) a problem!
    I love cories, so I always keep them in every tank I have that's suitable for them and a couple of my tanks use sand as a substrate.
    watching a cory hoover through sand is truly a marvel.

Sand, or too finer gravel will compact down too hard and not allow nutrients to get to the plant roots as easy, and rot off the plant stems...
    ahhhhhh, it all depends on what type of sand or gravel you use...

if you use pool filter grade sand, not only will it not compact like other sands, being that it is quartz based, it is inert, so it wont affect your water chemistry in any way.

obviously if you wanted to do a planted tank with sand, use a bottom layer of substrate made up of laterite or any of the commercially available plant substrates. (refer to my post in the Amazon Garden section titled C02 tank - trial run - I used sand and that tank had amazing growth).

San Merah Discus
    I have used white gravel in the past for planted tank and had strong lighting. After a month or two setting up the tank, the gravel turn abit brownish greenish. Alage grow on them.

Can this happen to pool filter sand Proteus ? Or will it stay nice and white ?

Thanks a lot.

I have never had algae on my sand, that is not to say it isnt possible

As a trial runI used pool filter sand as a base in my 4fter tank. Nothing else no plants etc just a few discus.

After about a month boom! alage explosion the surface ofthe sand was covered in a green alage. I attempted to clean it off but it was growing way to quick.

Ended up sucking the whole lot out and went Bare bottom.

Im thinking maybe I should have gotten a few cat fish to assist.

Will Cories bother discus??? will they eat discus fry / eggs???

SnakeSkin Discus
    I had come corys in with some of my discus with no problem at all...

Im not sure whether they would eat the discus eggs tho...
    I guess its possible but IMO the discus should be able to keep the corys away... ?