Blue Diamond Discus

Story of hope - I hope

New to discus, bought 2 small blue diamonds 4 weeks ago, added 2 tangerines 2 weeks ago. Bought all 4 fish from same fish store in North Shore, Sydney.

25% water changes, 2 times week. 30 degrees at night, but temp dipped in cold sydney morning to about 28 degrees. No salt. PH above 7, having trouble getting it down - was sold into trying a liquid PH modifier, which I now regret - never had problems with PH before. Also terrible brown algae in tank, even though tank quite well lit. Trying Proper PH 6.5.

Small tank, 80 litres, gravel, 3 plastic plants, sponge air filter, fluval 104.

Last thursday, blue diamonds got white spot , so I treated with formaldehyde and malachite green. 2 days later tangerines showed white spot. After 4 days, white spot cleared up, all were eating during entire time. Treated 2 times, turning off canister filter off for 8 hours, then 50% water change. Then monday, one blue diamond turned black, and stopped eating. Went to back of tank.

A botched attempt at setting up a extra tank, and a super stressed already sick fish 1 day later (started swimming on side) I returned him to his tank. And decided to treat all fish, like it was quarantine for first time.

I was not sure if white spot, and now ? velvet ? was the problem or a secondary disease. No other symptoms like one fin closed or white faeces to help me determine actual problem. Maybe bloodworms ?

Set up a plastic bin bought from Woolies, and poured and treated water at night for the 50% water change following night. Attached heater inside bin.

Proper PH 6.5 seems to be working. PH below 7.

DAY 1 -6

1. Flagyl (metro) - got from doctor in city on Monday. Called SLS to get idea on dosage.

Treat every day, 3 days, 50% water changes daily. 1-2 tablespoon salt per 40 litres.
    Turn off canister filter during time, have sponge filter.

After treatment, give fish 3 day break from medicine, but keep up salt and 50% water changes.

Removed any brown algae.

DAY 7-12

2. Deworming (Prazi)

3 days, 50% water changes daily. 1-2 tablespoon salt per 40 litres.

After treatment, give fish 3 day break from medicine, but keep up salt and 50% water changes.

Removed any brown algae.

DAY 13-18

3. Multicure (Malc Green, Meth Blue) etc.

3 days, 50% water changes daily. 1-2 tablespoon salt per 40 litres.

Removed any brown algae.

FINISHED QUARANTINE

Have fixed up temp problem by using a better heater. Constant 30 degrees now.

OK, it is now Day 3, an after 4 days of a blue discus, shrinking to about 70% of his size, or comparitive to other blue discus in tank, he slowly regained his colour, and greedily ate tonight for the first time in 5 days !

I don't know if it is the metro, salt or water changes, but for once I think he is going to make it.

Anyway, 5 days ago I knew nothing, but because of this forum, and also the www.simplydiscus.com forum, and talking to SLS (who I should of bought my discus from in the first place) I think my little buddy is eating tonight - thanks guys. Also I think water changes, well I think my little buddies think anyway, water changes rock ... they seem to now like it.

Also I have stopped feeding them generic bloodworms, just to be extra safe.

Anyway thank you.

Hope your buddies continue to improve. Over many years with discus I have found you can't beat daily 25% water changes to add size to young discus and to prevent problems. Light feedings 4-5 times daily also help. Stay away from bloodworms for young fish. I only feed them to adults.
    Thirty-five years keeping and breeding discus, and I'm still learning :P

Merrilyn has passed, but will not be forgotten - Goodbye dear friend

its great to hear of storys where the internet was used for good

great to hear your fish are well
    RYAN --- DIY ROCKS!

only ever feed hikari brand bloodworms...they are good quality.
    my Flickr photo page: http://www.flickr.com/photos/27593184@N05/
    my YouTube page: http://www.youtube.com/user/Mattzilla5000#p/u
    `·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((( (º>
    ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
    `·.¸¸.·´><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>><( (((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
    `·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((( (º>
    ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
    `·.¸¸.·´><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>

Blue Diamond Discus
    Looks like my dosing for Monday's treatment of Prazi is off. According to instructions on the back of the Aqua Master Fluke and Tape worm treatment, it says do 1 treatment, then in 48 hours change 25% water, follow it up with another treatment in 7 days.
    Dave