Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

UV sterilizers...are they good?

does anyone here use one? i don't know too much about them but a friend of mine told me they kill all the nasties like parasites and stuff in the water. is this true?? do they kill beneficial bacteria??

i would like to hear some peoples personale opinions and experiences with them.

thanks

matt

Just an Egg

UV

They will not kill benificial bacteria. They can only kill free floating bacteria. They are alright, but may lower your fishes imunity system. They are in line, water is pumped externally through them, which means you need either a cannister filter or a sump setup.

Alistair

I am considering getting one on my next Discus tank, have it hooked up on the return line from the sump...

I have heard more good than bad about them, apart from that I cant really go into specifics...

Wrigglers
    Hey guys,

Discus really are as tough as nails, often when we have problems it is usually associated with water quality or mis diagnosed disease.

We refer to U.V. sterilizers as 'insurance policies' for your prized loved ones.

They do more than just kill nasties, they also prevent algae and give you great water clarity. They don't hurt the good bacteria, because they connect to the return side of the filter. Also ensuring the good bacteria stay in your filter, where they should be.

Connect one to your tank and you'll see the difference overnight.

Happy fish keeping,

George.
    Slippery Little Suckers
    632 Anzac Pde
    Kingsford NSW 2032
    Ph: 02 93155288
    Fx: 02 93155388
    http://www.slipperylittlesuckers.com
    Closed Wednesday's
    Part of the Aquariums Australia Pty Ltd group.
    Disclaimer: We attempt to provide gender and species as required, however we can not guarantee gender, genetics or species.

ok so you attach it to the return hose coming from your canister filter...i have a canister filter so that would be fine.
    i also have a air driver sponge filter inside my tank...will the UV steraliser effect that at all????

i think i will get one as i believe that keeping discus is all about keeping water, and if i can make the water better then my discus will benefit from it

thanks

matt

The sponge filter wont affect anything at all...

only the water that passes through the canister will be treated...

well worth it, especially now after what George has mentioned...

Why not give SLS a buzz and see what they can get...

Free Swimmer
    I am gonna give George a BIG UPS!!!

He pretty much hit the nail on the head.

U.V. is AWESOME for ANY TANK!!!

On top of the fact that it blasts the hell out of any little nasties that try to infest the system. The decreased chances of algea is a HUGE BONUS!

There has been some VERY intense study done on U.V. units and almost all of the info is positive.
    The ONLY drawback that I know of is that ( sometimes ) adding a sterilization unit to an exsisting ( established, older ) tank does have some residual impact on the system. It has been known to cause some havoc until the sys re-balances without the instance of the (harmful/beneficial) grubbies that the unit is removing.

Also, be VERY careful as to which U.V. unit you purchase.
    Some of them can be almost IMPOSSIBLE to buy parts for ( BULBS ) and if/when you DO find them. Some companies that supply the parts will NOT sell them individually and it could cost you a pretty penny to get them.

HTH

Pimpin
    "I am not the chicken plucker. I am the chicken pluckers son, and I'll be plucking chickens till the chicken plucker comes!"

i'm still not convinced...i have had a few reports on other forums that say that they are not really worth it....

maybe if SLS can offer a good bargain i might be convinced....

matt

hey george..from SLS

i tried to email SLS and it got sent back...said it couldn't find any sls.com...

i want to know if you sell water storage barrels...100-200litres...and for hom much.

are you able to offer me a good bargain on a UV steraliser as well??

cheers mate

please email me or leave a message here

mattpATswiftdsl.com.au

thanks

you actually have to spell it out... slipperylittlesuckers.com