Thread: Damn Nijsseni

Medium Discus

Damn Nijsseni

Well....One of my male Nijsseni up and died overnight.
    The pair were getting along famously and appeared to even be courting, in fact thefemale is now in one of my shelters and may even be on eggs.
    He was looking great last night, ate well but was laying on his side on the bottom this morning...grrrrr.
    My wife is a pathologist so she's going to do a pm and histo today hopefully.

Damn Apitos...

Mike

Medium Discus
    Sorry to hear your losses. Hopefully there's something we all can learn from after the PM. Let us know the result.

In the past, it hasn't been unusual for many of us apisto keepers to loose male after spawn. The theory about the losses is on the small size tank, lack of hiding spots and dither fish. The female can be extremely aggressive after spawn and I've lost many beautiful male fish in this way (breeding is risky bussiness for male fish).

Please keep us posted on the findings.

Thomas.

Medium Discus
    Thanks Thomas
    The weird thing is that i was watching for aggression and they were getting along REALLY well.

Ill keep you posted on possible pm results.

Mike

Wrigglers
    Congrats on the spawn, and Im really sorry to hear about your male

As Thomas says, male death after spawning is something thats been seen but not understood for a long time.

Steph
    Current fish: A. baenschi, A. agassizi tefe, A. panduro, M ramirezi
    Past Fish: A. agassizi, A. gibbiceps, A. iniridae, A. trifasciata, A. agassizi alenquer,