Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Dicrossus filamentosus

Hi guys,

South American Dwarf Cichlids includes various other genus as well as Apistogramma, which somehow managed to overshadow the rest of these beauties.

There's one of a Dicrossus filamentosus, or better known as checkerboard cichlid.

I just love the iridescence on the fins.

Cheers,

Medium Discus
    awesome photo benny

Now that picture is spectacular

Larvae
    Yeah those fins look fantastic!

They are great fish too. Very enjoyable to watch especially when they are flaring up at each other. Unfortunately my couple died.

Larvae
    Benny, you're photos really are just amazing.

Do you clean them up or filter them at all through any photo software? It looks like in a few you've at least blackened the background.

Peter.

Larvae
    Benny and Sime, do these little guys have the same [general] water parameter requirements as the apistogramma's, ie.soft, acidic?

Medium Discus
    P,

The filamentosa prefers very soft and acidic - and as soon as something is wrong with the water, they'll be the first to know (as the fish will die quickly).

They're less tolerance than discus in my opinion.

Thomas.

Just an Egg

re: D. filamentosus

You would probably have more success with more sensitive fish in a bigger aquarium tank. Unless you are meticulous in keeping nitrates to a minimum, a bigger tank will provide more stability.

I have yet to try these guys out, but Heinz usually stock them on occassions, so I'll be on the watchout for them.

Cheers,
    Vien.

Medium Discus
    Don't know if this is true or not, but was informed the bacteria involve with the nitrogen cycle won't be around at such low pH. Hence there will be minimal nitrate/nitrite in the tank.

So all fish waste matter will remains as ammonium, water changes and heavy planting would be the way to keep the waste level down.

Not sure if this is really the case, but some of my tanks that are running at really low pH are heavily planted and never had any major problem.

Thomas.

San Merah Discus
    Just wondering if anyone has any experience breeding these beautiful little guys? Either the Fila's or the Mac's

I have a pair atm and my male seems more interested in displaying at his reflection than the increasingly plump female he has got with him. I'm sure he'll wise up soon.