Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    SnakeSkin Discus

UV sterilisers, are they needed?

if you havnt read any of my posts im about to purchase a tank for discus (today hopefully) and ive been doing research on different euqiptmeant and things and im just wondering what you guys feel about on uv steriliers, this is for a 170l tank.

Nathan

Wrigglers
    alot of people swear by them and they are good at keeping your tank free of alot of nasties that can make your discus sick, also remove algae. however, the only downside i can think of is that they become so used to clean water their immune system is lowered and if they ever get moved to a tank without one they can get very sick and im not sure how you would get one used to normal water again?

its up to you, work out the pros and cons and see if its right for you, alot of people that try them refuse to ever be without one again so they must be good!

SnakeSkin Discus
    well i did purchase one and (bought the rest of the setup today aswel ) I wont be upgrading or getting anymore tanks (unfortunately) so i dont think it will be to much of an issue.

thanx
    Nathan

Just an Egg
    I've used and now use again a UV. I hooked one up on a 125 gal. that was a month old. The UV sent the cycle out of wack. (It cylcled over or lost some of it's affectiveness). I turned it off until the tank was more established (another month, 2 months total) and now seems to do wonders for my tank.

I guess what I'm sayin is , I believe it will also kill some benificial bacteria and / or slow down your cycling process.

I'm newer at this so please check and clarify any truth to this.
    Mark

San Merah Discus
    Some of my tank got no UV. And they're all fine, dont have any problem at all. Just maintain good water quality, ie : regular Water changes.

But if you got extra cash, I would recommend that you install one into your tank.

HTH

Interesting observation Mark. Yes it will kill any free floating bacteria in the water, both good and bad, and if your tank is not fully cycled, there will be some of the good bacteria floating in the water.

Once you bio filtration colony is safely established in your filter or your gravel, you should have no more problems.

BTW a very warm welcome to the forum. Hope you enjoy your time with us.
    Thirty-five years keeping and breeding discus, and I'm still learning :P

Merrilyn has passed, but will not be forgotten - Goodbye dear friend

Medium Discus

uv

In my opinion UV sterilisers are crucial.

You have a much less chance of discus dying due to disease and also, any disease they get will not be anywhere near as severe.

They are not a substitute for regular water changes !

G

Just an Egg
    have used them but wouldnt say you 'need' them at all.but they can be helpful and wont really hurt.

If you keep water quality good and quarantine(QT) ALL stock including plants first you will never have a problem.

Discus just dont die from diseases etc unless they are there in the first place.
    UV wont change that
    QT is the only way.

Wrigglers
    Despite all my best attempts, I had a number of disease outbreaks and on one ocassion a total fish wipe out before investing in a U.V. steriliser.
    Now my fish are all health and happy. Even the odd scrape from fighting heals up without intervention.
    I don't think the U.V. eradicates all bacteria, but rather keeps pathogen levels very low. U.V. does that - in the great outdoors, old SOL does that as a matter of course.
    Trouble with a closed environment like an aquarium is, if by accident you happen to get some "bug" in there, it can really take off.
    (Even with the U.V. sterilser, I try to keep my hands out of the tank and always wash with tap water up to my forearm before putting my hand into the tank.)

Good luck and careful management & you should be O.K.

Medium Discus
    I have them on all my tanks.........great value.
    .....Keep fit guys....get the bicycle out.....Jim

have fun and be nice to each other