Hi, I'm New Here!

Aqua Clear filter?

Hey all, Ive been keeping and breeding africans and south americans for about 5 years now and recently decided that I wanted to give discus a try. I have a 65 gallon tank setup that is 48x18x18. Does this seem to be a good size for the discus and I heard about 1 discus/10 gal? My real question is that I also heard that discus are really sensitive to current. I have an aquaclear 110 on the 65gal because i am always about good circulation and filtration. Do you think that the current from the filter may be to strong and affect the discus and stress them out? Thx!!!

San Merah Discus
    Hi Oscar,

The 10g per discus refers to adult fish so if you intend on buying little ones to grow them out you can have far more than 6 for your 65g tank. Just bear in mind that they do grow quickly so you will need more tank space for them within 6 months or so.

I don't think your cannister filter will upset them at all but if you are concerned just put a rain bar on it.

You do realise that if you buy Discus there is no going back, they're totally addictive!! Beware!
    MAC

The aquaclear is perfect

i run them on my breeding setup

works a treat, i use a aqua clear 50 on a 2 x 18 x 18 in conjunction with a sponge filter for extra air
    RYAN --- DIY ROCKS!

Hi, I'm New Here!

!!

Thx guys for the responses! Yea im looking foreward to getting some discus...Im hoping down the road as i get better with them that I can eventually get a breeding pair in a separate tank. I do plan on getting babies so I guess I can get more because I have a Buddy that sells them at his LFS he owns so im sure I can find them a good home if need be...otherwise I have my 145 out in the living room! lol...but that has my southamericans in there and I love them to death! Thx for the help guys!!!