Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

heating probelms during water changes

what sort of temp variations can discus cope with during water changes and is it best to raise the temp quickly or slowy if it does drop.

hard to heat 200lt of water before changes.

how does everyone else do it. ( that last comment requires no smut, although i know it will happen)

Wrigglers
    I trickle a hose into my tank. About 100l (50%) over 2-2.5 hours. Temp slowly drops from 30C to 27.5-28. Gets back up within 30 minutes.

The above is due mainly to a lack of space for a water storage barrel. I'm currently trying to find a 100lt container that fits on a 30"x15"x24 stand. If I found one, I'd put a heater and airstone in it and bubble it for 24 hours. I'd have the heater set to the same temp as the tank.

As for you question on temp. All I know is that less variation is better. The more variation, the more you stress your Discus.

i work mon - fri early hours till dark.

this time of year i may need to do my changes at night and i find that

A. if i do them slowly my tank drops temp because i have the heaters off while emptying and then filling.
    B. if i do them fast my tank drops temp because of the amount of chilly water i drop in.

storage tank. another thing to heat. i give that much to energex i should have shares in it. i was hoping for another way! HELP ME

Ryan

just throw a 300watt heater in your 200ltr barrel set the temp a few dergrees higher if you are doing the w/c at night, or at the same temp if you are doing them during the day.

do you have a laundry that you can keep the barrel in? that would help to minimise outside temp fluctuations.

you should always try to keep your w/c water temp as close as possible to your tank water temp. a few degrees diff won't harm your fish in any major way but it reduced stress if the temps are the same.

hth
    matt
    my Flickr photo page: http://www.flickr.com/photos/27593184@N05/
    my YouTube page: http://www.youtube.com/user/Mattzilla5000#p/u
    `·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((( (º>
    ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
    `·.¸¸.·´><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>><( (((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
    `·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((( (º>
    ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
    `·.¸¸.·´><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>

o.k then,

i have got my 200lt tank (i just need to clean it and check it) whats the best way to heat it remembering i will be trying to automate this change over the next week.

some sort of heater that won't break, and possibly a timer system so its on for the sortest amount of time before i use the water.

IDEAS

I just chucked in a 300watt in my 200ltr barrel and put a air with a airstone in there to circulate the water. Hard to really put it on a timer as you cant work out how long it takes to heat 200ltrs as times would vary.

Medium Discus
    I now only do 2 water changes a week so I just turn my heater on the day before a water change that way it's ready. Make sure you add an air stone to circulate the water as Flukes said as I tried it without one and the water didn't heat up properly.

as per what Matt suggested, a 300w heater and air stone will do the job.

it is a good idea just to keep the heater on all the time, for the sake of a few cents in electricity, you have a ready, USEABLE source of water 24/7 in case you have a parameters spike or other emergency, in regards to my fish I always err on the side of safety.

so a 300 watt heater will do it.

has anyone found a gromet that fits around the base of a 300watt heater so i can insert it into the base of my holding drum below the low water line so i don't blow it up?

Proteus,

how much does a heater cost to run per day? average of course

Ryan

A good LFS will have all those little gadgets you need for mounting heaters. I was looking everywhere for different size suction caps to hold on a spray bar and it didnt even click that my lfs would have them..