Wrigglers

Lighting Question

Morning,

Does anyone know what the Kelvin rating is for the NEC Biolux tubes? Thinking of giving them a run but can't seem to find any info on the spectrum etc.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers.
    OSCAR

Wrigglers
    Further...
    I recall people mentioning tri-phos tubes etc.

So what is better...an aquarium plant specific bulb (e.g. Aquarelle, Aquastar etc) or a tri-phos houshold type tube?

I like brilliant white lighting as opposed to pink, purple, yellow tinges. If i have to have a tint to it i'd lean toward the blue, purple (10,000K type) as opposed to the yellow end.

Info anyone???
    OSCAR

Blue Diamond Discus
    Hey Oscar i had six 36w AquaStar floro tubes running on my 4x2x2ft planted tank for about 6 months then went down to bunnings about 2 months ago and saw these floro tubes called Philips Fluotone Super 80 so i thought i'll try them as there only $4.95ea and i can return them all if not happy with them.

I have found my plants and also my fish to stand out with these bulbs much much better also my plants started pearling and also releasing O2 bubbles.

I reccommend these tubes over any others becuase of there price and much much brighter then Gro Lux tubes and Auqastar tubes as well.

These are the specs on the tube:

Philips Fluotone Super 80 36w TL-D
    1200mm long
    Cool Daylight
    6500 Kelvin

They also save 10% power and 15,000 hours.

HTH

Good Luck
    Cheers,

Rick

Medium Discus
    I've tried those tri phos did'nt like them at all,To my eye's they had a green tinge to it and the plant's didn't seem to like them ethier.

I have also used the 10000K and really didn't do much ethier.

So what is better...an aquarium plant specific bulb (e.g. Aquarelle, Aquastar etc) or a tri-phos houshold type tube?
    If i had to pick between the 2 i would go plant specific.

Medium Discus
    are they really different? many tubes are just re-labelled with fancy packaging and hefty price tag

Wrigglers
    I purchased a couple of QUAD-phos bulbs the other day and am going to give them a shot. This specific one is supposed to be the purest white light. But the problem is that they are only 5000K. Anyway i'll give them a go and time will tell.

So Duck...what bulbs do you use?
    OSCAR

Medium Discus
    Quote Originally Posted by dreamer
    are they really different? many tubes are just re-labelled with fancy packaging and hefty price tag
    Yes they are different i wouldn't say all of them,But how much different they are for the price is questionable.
    It wouldn't suprise me if some of them where just repackaged.

Medium Discus
    Quote Originally Posted by oscar
    So Duck...what bulbs do you use?
    On my 6ft I have 10000K,Grow lux, one i can't recall,But this tank is just low light low maintaince so i'm not really fussed,Plants do grow,I have the 10000K globes on this tank so it's a bit brighter but that's about it.

My 4ft I have 4x T5's 6500K daylight's 2x T5's coolwhite's,Standard house hold tube's.