Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Just an Egg

What type of Geophagus

Hi all,

I've asked this many times in different forums before but always get different answer.

I bought these 5 little fish back in January 2005 as Geophagus Aripuana - wild caught. I didn't know much about South American eartheaters let alone the Geophagus genus. The fish didn't have much distinct characteristics when young. But each has thick diagonal barrings, not split or thin like some altifrons that were available in some LFS.

Here are some pics taken in chronological order. The label shows for eg. 0501 means 2005 January and so on.

I refer to Weidner, South American Eartheaters, page 90, Characters of the species. It mentions that altifrons absents of a lateral spot, however, presents in a number of specimens, but only small.

You can see mines have that lateral spot. So does the fish that ladyred posted.

Can someone sheds some light?

Thanks,
    DD

ok that spot is fine i found it goes darker when ready to breed and where the heck did u get wild caught amaericans....

All 7 of my aripuana show the spot most of the time, the same with another 3 that a friend has.

You said wild caught? I would be very interested in knowing more about that, as word is no wilds have come into Aus since '03-'04.

Mine are from the same source as Ladyreds as well

btw, nice male you have there in 0511

Just an Egg
    Hi guys,

I have some updates. Here's a pic of a female in breeding dress. This is the fish of 0511 pictures. I first thought it's a male too.

They're delayed mouthbrooder. This confirms they're definitely not altifrons which is an immediate mouthbrooder.

From what I can gather and more conclusive feedback, they're closest match to Geophagus spec. "Rio Negro" or winnemilleri

All the descriptions in Weidner's match.

Anyhow, I didn't get anything from the first spawn. I also didn't expect much.

Today I got a second spawn. The same male but different female. A very interesting fact, as I thought they suppose to form a pair. Also, the male is smaller than both females.

BTW, where I got them from doesn't really matter does it?
    ...they may take away our lives, but they'll never take... OUR FISHES!
    http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d8...Braveheart.jpg

great looking geos... I'm going to have to get some, one of these days. Only problem is which one

great looking geos... I'm going to have to get some, one of these days. Only problem is which one
    get a few of each... easiest way to solve that dilemna
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails alticloseup__medium__124.jpg   alticloseup__medium__124.jpg  

I'm assuming they will do ok in a BB tank?

Quote Originally Posted by ozarowana
    I'm assuming they will do ok in a BB tank?
    They will be fine, but you wont see there true character and antics which come about during there 'aquascaping' missions.

Thanks so much for that update Phenonema. These fish are particularly interesting. Love the picture of your female in breeding colours, and how fortunate you were to witness the spawning.

At first I thought my fish were Geophagus spec. "Rio Negro" or winnemilleri too, but there is a very noticable difference in the head shape, so now I"m back to square one again.

This may be one mystery that we never solve.

Anyway, good luck with your second spawn. I hope you have success this time.

:P
    Thirty-five years keeping and breeding discus, and I'm still learning :P

Merrilyn has passed, but will not be forgotten - Goodbye dear friend