Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Constipated, Worms, No but a major illness

Over the past 2 weeks I have been trying to treat my Bunga Raya (Super Red Melon) for what first appeared to be a case of constipation.

He was very bloated, yet was still eating and the faeces were a good colour (nice and dark), so I fasted him for 1-2 days, treated the tank with Epsom salts then started feeding him back up on Brine & Mysis Shrimp (not too bulky). That did not produce any results.

Second step was to catch him, and feel his stomach with my fingers, his anal passage did not seem to be blocked (as there was remnants of faeces visible) however his abdomin area was very solid, which led me to think it may be worms (even though his faeces were not white).

Next step was to treat with both Prazi & Promethyasul, still no results, although he is not interested in food now at all (I fasted him for a few days when Prazi was first introduced).

Over the past 12-24 hours, the skin/scales in the abdomin area is starting to rot away, and both Pectoral fins have also started to rot away.

He is still breathing normally, and is trying to stay upright, although with little or no pectoral finnage left he is struggling somewhat.

I have attached some images to try and display how things look, please excuse the poor quality as I didnt want to cause him any further stress, so I took what photos I could.

Has anybody seen this before, or have an idea on the most appropriate method of attack? I have most drugs or treatments available, so that is not an issue, it is just a matter of what I should try without making things worse.

Thanks in advance, as I am scratching my head over this one.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails bunga2.jpg   bunga3.jpg   bunga1.jpg  

i am not sure what is up with is bloat. i would definetly start treating with metro to control his fin and body damage. some salt might help too.

HTH and hope he gets better soon!
    DF.com Resident Cool Guy

Salt has been used for the past 2 weeks, Metro is on standby

Proteus, as per our phone conversation, I believe this to be a tumour. The fact that the fish is still passing droppings, indicates that the tumour is not in the gut or digestive tract, but perhaps in the liver or other nearby organ.

I believe that the white appearance of the skin, and the rotting is due to the circulation being impared due to the extreme tension that the skin is under, as the tumour grows in size. The rotting of the pectoral fins, I believe is due to the same thing. Lack of circulation due to the pressure caused by the tumour.

I'd love to be proven wrong, by someone with more medical knowledge than myself, but I'm sorry to say, that I think the fish has a very slim chance of recovery.

Wish I could be of more help Ro.
    Thirty-five years keeping and breeding discus, and I'm still learning :P

Merrilyn has passed, but will not be forgotten - Goodbye dear friend

Thanks again Red

What does have me baffled is how quickly things have changed. This morning he had both pectoral fins in top shape, now they are all but gone. And apart from the wound/affected area, he looks totally fine, and is breathing normally???

I think you are right Merrilyn for it maybe a tumour, but could it be a tumour developed from an internal worm cyst?

Proteus you mentioned you have treated with Promethyasul and Praziquantel, What about trying a broader medication against worms like fenbendazole or Levamisole?

If it is a tumour it could have developed from a cyst such as a worm egg.

Would such a medication help this problem?

True diagnosis could be made by an autopsy....

Sorry i can not be of any further help..

Ben

Thanks Ben, I failed to mention in my original post, aside from the Promethyasul, I have used a Broad Spectrum medication as well (not Levamisole though).

Update, he hasnt worsened at all, so today is the day of reckoning, I will be placing him in a <50L tank (smaller therefore more control) and giving him a full dosage of Metro. From there???

Medium Discus
    feacal sample and microscopy would give you the answer on worms and intestinal protozoa, then you could either treat or stop wasting meds on that one(praziquantel is cestocidal-tapeworm killer, levamisole is nematodicial- round worm killer, so is fenbendazol)

the skin looks like secondary, could he have been damaged with the abdomenal plapation? then secondary bacteria, though salt should be enough if that was all, maybe fish is worn out with primary disease and skin lesion is secondary

swelling in the abdomen with normal feacal passage and no parasites seen in feacal sample's
    doesn't leave you with too many nice answers

as already suggested growths from tb to cancer are possible
    i would second ladyred's poor outlook

sorry
    andrew

Thanks for the advice Andrew, it is much appreciated.

I am pretty much resigned to the fact that it will be a battle to keep this guy alive, however I wont give up until the time comes where I feel he needs to be euthanased (unless he passes first).

If I can get a faecal sample today I will try and capture it, as I have access to a good microscope.

Other than that, fingers are crossed... I have treated some very sick Discus before and had them turn around, so there is some hope, yet this is totally strange, being that if you ignored the abdomin area, he looks totally healthy and happy...

ug

The serious treatment has begun

He is now in a 75L QT tank

I have used 60% tank water (from where he was) and 40% new aged water. (tank is only appox 70L full)

The tank has been dosed with 700mg of Metro, 300mg of Prazi plus 2tbsp of Aquarium Salt, temp = 29c.

He is not passing any faeces, so I cant investigate that any further, for the moment.